1st International Asana User Meeting in Brazil

asanacompany
idea

Hi Asana Community.

It is 1st April 2017. Saturday. And this date is considered in Brazil what we call “Dia da Mentira” (the day of lie / lying). However according to Wikipedia, 1st of April has been taken as the “April Fool’s Day” for centuries.

And if we (Asana Users) get all together and go to meet each other in person in Brazil?
Yes, it is 1st of April, but it is not lie. Maybe I am just a fool. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yes, I want to organize the 1st International Asana User Meeting. And I want to organize it here in Brazil.
That is why I chose “Site Feedback” as a category for this topic. It is about “Discussion of this Community, its organization, how it works, how it can be improved”. So let’s go for that.

Let me share with you some of the questions that pops up in my mind.

• And if we all (Asana users) get together in person as well?
  • And if we all mix a bit of imagination, creativity, audacity, fear, courage, challenge, tourism and adventure and come to meet each other in person once a year? :airplane:
  • Would you all help me to create together a plan/project (inside Asana of course) to make this dream come true? :rainbow: :star2:
  • I do believe this message is a seed.

OBJECTIVE

1. Realize the 1st International Asana Member Meeting at Cidade Pedra Branca, Palhoça - SC, part of the big Florianópolis, in Brazil

BENEFITS

If it happens…

1. We will all be able to test still more our own Asana skills, participating all together in a Asana project planing something together for us as a team of Asana lovers.
  • We will meet each other in person, look in each other’s eyes and party together.
  • Those that are not from Florianópolis or Brazil, will have a chance to know all the good things Brazil has to offer.
  • This will be the first event of a serie of many others International Asana Users meetings, that can happen annually, and each time, in a different part of the world.
  • We will be able to plan everything all together - (travels, arrivals, program, sigh-tours, beach, events, departure, etc)
    *Wee will be even able to create Asana tip learning exchanging sessions.
  • Asana will also have a great exposure in Brazil (once Florianópolis is a touristic city and the second one in Tourism after Rio de Janeiro) and Latin America wherever we go all together.

OBSTACLES

1. I have no idea how will the Asana company and Asana community will react to this message.
  • I have no idea how many of you would like to see this idea flourishing.
  • Need help to make it true.

TEAM

• Asana Company Team
  • Blinktil Team (my Startup)
  • All Asana Users.

NEED TO KNOW

1. Are you going to join me and help me to make it true?
  • Or are you going to point me someone who eventually want to?

ACTION PLAN

1. Start the project inside Asana: [1st International Asana User Meeting in Brazil] (https://app.asana.com/0/308487624602921/list)
  • See Asana Company and Asana Community feedback about it.
  • Get the e-mail address from those who want to join me in this adventure (can be sent by direct message)

IMPLEMENTATION DATE

• Need some help to find the best date.
  • 1st of April 2018 ? As the official date of The International Asana Members Meeting?
    (Why the 1st of April as a date? Well. Because it is the Fools’ Day, since for some we must be a kind of fool to do all we have done and yet, still wanting some more) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Or, as an alternative. There is a great opportunity from June 19 - Aug 11 at Exosphere Academy of Art and Science (http://exosphe.re)

Let me know what you think, :wink:

@Pedro, great job taking the initiative to do this! I’m far away from Brazil, but this might be a good excuse to visit! I hope Asana supports this event.

What a wonderful idea, @Pedro! +1 to @Craig_Fifer’s comment. Thanks for taking the initiative with this idea!

It sounds like what you hope to achieve is a sense of community and learning opportunity for Asana users. Naturally, as community manager I am excited by the idea! I am eager to see how other community members respond.

A few follow up questions for you:

• How do you suppose we support the language barrier between Asana users? Would the common language be English?
  • Do you envision this being a single event or instead a conference of some kind?
  • What kind of activities do you have in mind?

…there are plenty more questions I could ask, but I’ll let other community members reply first. :slight_smile:

@Alexis i am not sure if language would be a barrier, i am just going to support @Pedro idea. In any case you guys could start thinking in translate the app, you have competitors that have already done

Thanks @RZ_T! We’re mindful and taking steps toward this.

Thanks @RZ_T for your support. I have been around Asana since 2013. You can’t imagine how many time I have asked Asana team to let me help them to localize Asana interface. But the team have yet very close criteria to get help or “eat their own dogs food” and use Asana to foster collaboration faster. They need more time (which is life) to apply their own criteria. I have been respecting it and patiently waiting the moment they feel comfortable to go and decide to trust. For one side it is very good having strict criteria. Look how good Asana is due to their high level of criteria. However the extreme of it can make loose lots of opportunities, as you said, competitors can eventually take them. Only the future can tell us.

Give Asana time and maybe one of those days we will also see a Portuguese group here, since there is a French and a German group in here https://community.asana.com/groups ops… They were there some days ago. Where are they? Nothing in there now. @Alexis can you help us to understand the Asana foreign group criteria?

Regarding Portuguese language. When does a barrier emerge? Does it emerge when a foreign language is simply there, as a language, or when a mind believe it is something difficult to learn?

This is the question I have asked to all the foreigners businessmen who decided to come from 10 different country in Brazil last quarter and some of them decided to stay in Brazil. I have been invited to be their Portuguese teacher, cause I teach Portuguese using a methodology I have created. There is no book, no blackboard, no projection. The students bring only their brains, their ears, mouths and a lot of attention to the class. And they will be able to speak basic English or Portuguese (with a good fluency) in 2 months having just 1 hour class a week.

Is it a dream? No, it is possible. I have never been in any English School in my life. All I know I learned by my self using what I am here trying to convey. Come and I will be glad to make you see it.

It is incredible how human becomes willing to learn a language when they see business opportunities. But it is not at all. Only those who already came to Brazil know how Brazilian people has embedded in their culture the desire to help foreigners to speak Portuguese language while some of them (and each they more and more people) do their best to learn English. I was impressed when I lived in Europe, how impressed European people got when they discovered that I speak 6 languages (4 of them fluently). Some of them even assumed that they would like to speak more languages and told me that they never imagine a Brazilian could speak a such number of languages.

In fact, it is very interesting to study the mechanism that make the barriers to emerge. Language is just one of them. I could better understand the role of education in this barrier process when I read Mark Manson’s article about his own experiences overseas.

@Alexis thanks for your questions. I love questions. But here are some more questions.
What a language really is? Do we need languages or idioms? Have you ever talked with someone the same language, but feeling that you were not taking the same idiom? That is the difference between “língua” and “linguagem” in Portuguese language. Isn’t the music the only common language we have as human beings? Can Asana users of different languages use Asana as a common language instead worrying to much about which language they are using to understand Asana enough to plan together?

So @Alexis your question is very interesting. You ask:

English is a very interesting language. Its grammar is great. There is no accent marks in the words. Verb conjugation is not too complicated. And those points has helped it to become globally the 1st language of choice for common grounds. However there are also many other languages, besides official languages. There are eye language, smile language, body language (with all its parties), energy language, heart language, thoughts language, intentions languages. So. It is not easy to answer your question. And language by itself is not the only thing that makes the communication to flow. And communication is not all we need for human interaction to happen. However I do understand your need in practical terms to find out if English could be so choice for the common language between Asana users.

Let’s take Geneva as an example.When I lived there I was living in a city with 190 nationalities and the country has 4 official languages. It is common to go to a party or event and see a group talking Arabic, another talking Italian, a couple talking Portuguese and other dozes of different languages and suddenly see them all getting back to one of the official language. That diversity was very interesting and why can’t we have it in our Asana meeting in Brazil? If music (a collection of sounds) has been considered the universal language, why the pronunciation of a word in another language can not be considered just as another music?.

Exosphere program here in Brazil is totally done in English. As an interpreter of their conferences I confess that sometimes I need to remind them to not ignore translations or localization only because it is possible to find here, at Pedra Branca, people who speak English and assist them. They are inside another culture and one way to respect the differences is also respecting the need to use or communicate with them in their own language. No need to try to have only one language for the entire world to speak, even if English can be used for been globally used, simply because the one universal language already exists: The one who make people get along with each other.

There are so many technology available nowadays for translations. Some that even fascinate people in general. Why not use them? If a business decision is based only on how to make money based in language and where the money is, probably one of these languages will be the choice: English, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian.

However if a business do really cares about bringing their creation to help much more people to facilitate their lives, then, they will seriously consider translations and localization, not only as more work for them, but as the required investment to have access to many other things and improvement only those that live in a different country, in a different way, speaking a different language, can bring us.

@Alexis. Here is what I envision.

1. Asana’s users sending me their e-mails.
  • And inserting them in the Asana Users team I have created
  • Then we all together will insert phases and tasks in the project
  • Together we start a conversation inside an Asana User Meeting Roadmap project that is going to work as the main path. So, newcomers will have a clear notion of all the trajectory of the efforts done by reading previous Posts and checking tasks already done.
  • I also envision we all together creating a template that would cover all the phases from the arrival to departure. Then every Asana User could then copy it and use it to generate a separate project for each of them to include their specific individual needs.
  • So, all the Brazilian team of assistants (including myself) will be doing our best to help Asanas Users to close each of their tasks funtil the projects are successfully closed and they have all had a great staying in Brazil.
  • I also envision creating a project with that will collect and hold a list of all the activities Asana Members would like to have and use hearts to find their favorite ones and bring them to the main template.

So those are just some visions I have. I am open to listen to other suggestions.

This is quite the vision!

Regarding your question of language support, as I mentioned in a previous post, the groups you saw were part of an exploration of functionality - an experiment. We look forward to exploring language support more in the future.

Regarding the vision you present, this is very creative. I’m eager to know if your suggestions resonate with other community members. While I am not sure we’re quite at the stage for something so grand yet, I do appreciate the sentiment and I would love to consider an event like this in the future. Perhaps we could start with smaller events in one or multiple locations and then grow the events as the community grows.

Hi, @Alexis

Yes, You are right. Local events first is one solution and a great path. But it would be very difficult without a Portuguese group support. I have heard for years that Asana is not yet at the stage to do something. It is not good a fast growth. But it is not good neither a too slow one. Yes, we must consider that such a big event in the future. But when is the future? The soon the planning start the better it is.

Hey Portuguese spoken Brazilian users? Where are you? Do you want to see Asana help others who speak Portuguese and do not speak English yet? Let’s get together.

Can you help me to find them @Alexis? A separated Discourse for that? A Brazilian independent domain for Asana in Brazil? A sub domain? Or a folder inside Asana domain? No need to publish anything yet. Preparation and planning phase. What do you think?

Do you know I have been called from lots of my friends? Asana fanatic. Believe me. Even if I tell them all that I am not officially an Asana vendor or partner?
I even canceled a contract with a supplier yesterday because he was, not resistant, but TOO resistant and not open to investigate possibilities or make use of the long phone sessions I usually do enplaning them every details of Asana interface and how it works. Maybe people are right I became too much Asana Ambassador. And I use to reply. “Don’t worry, I am not having any financial benefit from Asana besides the chance to use the app for free, my friend, I am just trying to help you see possibilities to better communicate, plan and organize your tasks, even when you are on moving.”

Did you know that I am having problem with one of my big customer because I agreed to discover more about their collaboration tool during a 8 week Academic course they offered and I participated and now they want me to use only their tool and they resisted to come to Asana? That is when the “Asana fanatic” nick was given to me.

Did you know that yesterday I tried about 8 different integration SaaS to try to link the Apps and none of them worked well due errors cause none of them could get or read projects list from Asana?

Did you know that almost everyday the pain of facing human resistance to better communicate and planning together using any collaboration tool is making me be quite alone? But I keep creating projects inside Asana and inviting people to join them. Something tells me they will be seen in the future.

Fortunately this Asana community came out.

How will I start a Portuguese Asana Community? :thinking: Thinking…

Hi Pedro. As I mentioned we’re working toward supporting multiple languages. I’ll be excited to help build this out when the time comes! In the meantime, I am confident we can have great success as we have so far with communicating here in English…I’m impressed with your English abilities, especially since it sounds like you taught yourself. Wow!

Thank you again for all of your enthusiasm for Asana and the Community. You have shown such excitement and it has made me (and I’m sure many others) even more excited too.

Hi Alexis, Thanks again for your reply. Yes. I did understand you are working toward supporting multiple languages. I have heard the same since 2013. Sure it is a huge work that requires its time to be prepared.

Thanks also for the compliments regarding my English learning self-taught efforts.

What is required to get to know when the time will come? Please, don’t take it as a pressure. Just an interest to keep closer to Asana strategies. I would like to be sure that my eyes will still be able to read the monitor, my ears listen to your voice on a telephone line and my legs will be sat in a chair and not in a wheel chair. You know. I am 50. Why don’t Asana team share a little bit more about what is holding them back?

Why can’t Asana business process details be as easy to discover and learn as the technical aspects of the app itself?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Pedro! I recommend reading the Asana blog for updates on Asana’s business processes. This article is a good example: “With 20K+ paying customers and new leadership, our focus expands to enterprise and international growth.”