2-way integration with Google Calendar

I’m starting to find Asana is becoming more important in my ToDo list management, but there’s one feature I’ve always been on the lookout for, which is 2-way calendar scheduling and sync.

Having Asana tasks appear in my native calendar via ICS for a given day via is quite useful - I can see that I don’t have too many in one day, and I can see them alongside my appointments. However - I still have to make the mental leap of “OK, I’ll do that report in the morning between the meeting with Alice and the meeting with Bob, and the second task I’ll do after lunch before my 3pm”.

Why not just let me drag/drop that ToDo onto my calendar into the slot between Alice and Bob, and then be able to see it right there, in my calendar? Why do I still need to make that mental note and remember to do it? I could create a calendar appointment to block that time out ,but doesn’t having a ToDo manager mean that it should do that for me?

For some reason, almost every todo app defaults to this view, showing tasks as an “all day event” but none allow you to actually schedule tasks into timeslots.

What I’d like to do, is to be able to schedule tasks into a day, and then when it comes to that morning, be able to view my calendar (my iOS native calendar, which contains my work calendar, personal calendar, joint family calendar, etc), and drag/drop the tasks from the ‘all day’ position into the specific slots on my day, and size them to fit.

Of course, if I overrun, or have to move a task out, I can drag it to another slot/day, and Asana should update its own Due Date on the task. That would then appear in Asana itself, and in any other integrations/etc that my team can also see (eg. the delayed task would push the whole project out in Instagantt).

Most ToDo apps can show the task in the ‘all day’ slot on my native calendar. A few (eg. ToDoist) can show it in a specific timeslot, but is only 1-way sync, from the ToDo app to the calendar. The only one I’ve found to date that allows 2-way sync in the native calendar - eg. allows me to drag the task in my iOS calendar, and it pushes the reschedule back to the ToDo app - is GTasks. I love that concept, but the rest of the tool is quite light.

It would be great to have this feature - to be able to sync it to my native iOS calendar, have it in a specific timeslot, and then be able to drag/drop these appointments in the calendar and have them move their start/end date/time accordingly in Asana.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Real time, two way Calendar integration