Add a color legend to the timeline

Hi
I’m using the new Timeline and it’s really great!
I appreciate being able to change colors according to custom fields.
Nevertheless, I would like to have a sort of legend displayed (at the bottom of the screen for instance) to remind me of the color signification, to avoid having to know by heart the color code of the custom field.

Do you plan to had such a feature?

Thanks

Amen to that! What’s the point of making clever custom fields, if users can’t even tell what custom field has been shown in the view saved, and what those colors mean!

With the use of a custom field with colour coding to sort tasks, the colours show up on the various tasks in the timeline view. However there is no easy way to identify what each colour signifies for a given task, or even on which category are the tasks being colour coded in since the custom field selected does not show on the view, but has to be accessed with 2 steps on the top right menu. It would be much easier if there was simply a dialog box (floating or fixed) that showed on what custom field’s bases the tasks are being coloured, and what those colours mean.

Hi @Sachin_Bijadi and thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

We already have a thread on this topic, so I have gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to consolidate feedback on this topic; hope that’s ok!

Dear Marie, Thanks for merging the posts together. I realized there was post on this after I ahd created mine.

W.r.t the feedback, is Asana working on this and when can we expect the improvement to become live for users?

1 Like

No worries at all @Sachin_Bijadi :slight_smile: We still have a full Team working on developing and improving Timelines. They recently released Sections are now available on Timeline 🎉 and will continue to add more options in the coming month, hence the importance of your feedback. As it stands, we do not disclose our Roadmap (you can learn more about our Roadmap process here), but I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have more updates!

It’s been a hot second since this post and it still looks like this wasn’t resolved? This simple feature would be extremely helpful, and would prevent people from having to memorize colors and meanings across multiple fields. IMO, not having a legend negates the point of even being able to toggle across custom fields :cry:

If anyone has a workaround, I’m interested!

2 Likes

Are there any updates on this? It’s been 3 years since this suggestion was initially made. This is bread and butter for any PM’ing - color coding without a color legend being available to end users seriously impedes the effectiveness of any project plans. Anyone using Asana in my company has the exact same painpoint and everyone keeps pointing out how this is s letdown in functionality.