Adding Highlight Colors to Subtasks

It would be great if the highlight colors feature affected not only tasks but Subtasks. My team heavily uses them and it would be nice if they were also colored to reflect the project it’s under.

11 Likes

I would also like to see subtasks take on the highlight colour the project has. In calendar view, only the main task(s) that shows the specified colour of for the project.

10 Likes

I agree. We use the calendar view a lot and they just show as “white” for me, the colors help me recognize what are we’re focusing on. I don’t get why it doesn’t default to the color.

5 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to highlight JUST a task and not necessarily the whole project. It sounds like you’re doing that. Can you help explain how I can do that?

2 Likes

Same for me Holly… using calendar view, I’m never sure where the white tasks belong

5 Likes

This is kind of crazy that it’s not the default. A sub-task should have the same colour as the parent task, by default. You should then have the ability to customise it.

9 Likes

I second this, it’s a bit weird that this is not already the case. I would like to see the tag for the project of the parent tasks on subtasks by default as well.

2 Likes

You can add colours to subtasks by ‘Associating’ the subtask with a project. By default, only tasks are directly associated with projects and not subtasks. There’s a nice little animation of how to do this at the link below (see ‘Subtask & Project Association’).

But that basically makes the subtask like a task in the overall project which is not ideal because many times it is irrelevant to the other people sharing the project and makes it hard to see an overarching view of the project in list view.

I agree. Once I started playing around with it I noticed that it really clogs up tasks list.
I guess a possible solution would be to be able to filter for only level 1 or level 1 & 2 tasks, etc. in both the list and calendar views.

2 Likes

Yes that would be really nice. I want my “Project” level task list and calendar to be clean and show final “live” dates for items and not have to see everyone’s subtasks to “review” and “edit” things. But sometimes it would be nice to see what project a subtask is associated with through color coding on a calendar view. So I like your idea of “level” tasks. Would also be nice to be able to sift through a calendar view by custom form fields.

1 Like

The ability to also set colors on subtasks. Now they all look white in the calendar.

1 Like

Hi @Dejo_Andersson :wave:t3:

Tasks colors are based on tags or custom fields attached to them; since subtasks do not inherit their parent tasks project at the moment, custom fields often aren’t available for them. We already have a thread on this topic, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing conversation on this topic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Allow to automatically add subtasks to project

Would also really love subtasks to be automatically color coded to their parent tasks (or have that as an option at least). In the meantime, thought I would share my workaround for anyone else struggling in the meantime:

I didn’t want my subtasks to show up as first level tasks, so associating them directly to the project was out. Instead, I created an empty team called “Color Coding” and populated it with empty projects mirroring each of my projects, appending them with CC (e.g., “Marketing” → “Marketing CC”. I mirrored the color coding as well.

Now, when I associate a subtask with the project Marketing CC, it appears yellow in My Tasks (same as Marketing) but does not appear as a first level task in Marketing. It remains visible to anyone who can see Marketing; nobody needs to be able to see Color Coding or Marketing CC.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Subtasks should automatically inherit their parent task’s project. Adding my voice to the chorus. It makes way more sense.

1 Like

I would love my subtasks to show up as a ‘lighter’ or less opaque version of the parent project colour if possible. Rather than a few coloured tasks and a sea of white in calendar view. I don’t want them all to be as ‘bold’ as the parent task colour; I think it would be too much/it’s important to distinguish between parent tasks and subtasks at a glance. Thanks!

9 Likes

I believe the best course of action for this, until they update it in house, is to utilize greaseMonkey or tamperMonkey scripts.

Thanks mate – what does this mean? :sweat_smile:

Hi guys, maybe this will help…

I just add another field “Colour” which I select as I create the subtask. Not perfect but it works ok.

1 Like