Adding Row to Google Sheet When Tag Added

Hi there,

I’m new to using Google Sheets with Asana, and would like to set up a system whereby whenever a tag e.g. “designers” is added to a task, that populates a row in my Designers table in my Google Sheet with: assignee, project name, task start date, task finish date?

Is this possible or am I being too optimistic?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Marie,

I tried to find information on what you proposed. I’m not seeing it, or I’m misunderstanding your solution.

Is there a way to tie google sheets to a project, so each new task gets a row in google sheets? I only seem to be able to find using the dashboard and seeing things on the project basis.

Thanks @Marie,

Sadly I don’t have that kind of technical knowledge (as you can probably tell). When you say multihome a task - you mean it would be in its normal project but also replicated in a fresh project called “Designers”? How do you do that?

Also the google sheet I’d want would have only those fields in assignee, project name, task start date, task finish date - not the extra stuff that seems to come in as standard.

I’m sure we’re close to a solution, so appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Leila,

Hi @Marie,

I’d be grateful for your help. I have done as you said and created a “designers” project populated with tasks that have the tags “desginer”, and exported that to a Googlesheet. I can see in the “Task Count” section the number of tasks and the number of incomplete. In the last section “incomplete tasks by assignee” I just see the number, what commands/formulas do I need to run to see:

assignee, project name, task start date, task finish date?

Hopefully I’m half way there?

Leila,

Hi @leila, I think you can set up a Zapier connection for this.

Just set up the columns in google sheets of the things you want to see there and map them accordingly.

Another option would be to create a custom report from an advanced search within Asana and send that over to Google Sheets.

Hi @Joost

Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciate it!

I’ve tried with a zap, but the issue is the Zap won’t pull in a task start date, just the date the task was created. These seem to be my only options

Your other idea is interesting. I’ve created an advanced search report for all tasks with a certain tag. How do I then get that data into a google sheet with live data? I can export to CSV but then it won’t update when deadlines change etc.

Let me know if you have any ideas - thanks for all your help.

Leila,

1 Like

Hi @leila this isn’t a live connection indeed. Not sure why a task start date isn’t pulled in, maybe because of the newness of this functionality?

Sorry for the late follow-up @leila. Yes, multi-homing a task into multiple projects means that the tasks live simultaneously in all projects it was added to. You can learn more about it in this handy article: How to Complete Task Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide.

In regards to Google Sheets, by default, you will get all fields available; if you only want the “assignee, project name, task start date, task finish date”, you would need to edit the sheet manually I’m afraid!

Hi @Marie

Thanks. I did actually manage to multihome those tasks, and then export that project to googlesheets from my dahsboard. However, that standard google sheet does not seem to contain the data I need: assignee, project name, task start date, task finish date?

The only info about the assignee it seemed to contain was the number of tasks complete/in complete.

If the data I need is in there somewhere, please tell me how to access it.

Thanks,

Leila,

@leila, I found another workaround. You could also do an advanced search (on the specific things you want), save that search and then select ‘sync to Google’ (if you have that option available).

This would then generate a ‘live’ view of that particular search-result. The delay is about one hour (according to Asana). You cannot edit the contents of the cells (the formatting is possible> turning numbers into actual dates) within Google sheets, since it is an IMPORTDATA function only in the first cell, but you can hide the columns you don’t want to see).

The results are like this:

here you see the ‘function’ in the first cell

Maybe this helps?