Approval Process

It would be really nice if Asana had a way to have approval built in for tasks. Let me explain:

Say I have a task for a brochure Iā€™m developing. Itā€™s in a Project, and that Project has a custom field set up for the status of the brochure. When we have finished developing the piece, I need to order it. However, ordering product has itā€™s own approval process. It would be nice if somehow in Asana, in the task, I could fill out all the order specs and quote information (perhaps a custom field for this), but then that information, once entered, sends to the approving officer, to where she simply clicks ā€œapprovedā€ or ā€œdeniedā€, and then that task updates with that order approval status. You can do all this in long-abouts via comments in a task, but that gets messy as different people do things differently. Just some way send and receive an approval in a step in a task, if that makes sense.

Kind of like an ā€œif this then thatā€ maybe? ā€œif this custom field is set to that, then send this custom emailā€? Thatā€™d get the first half of the approval taken care of, which would even be better than it is, because at the very least the email could say ā€œthis task is ready for your approval. Please check it.ā€ To go the distance, though, that email would have an ā€œapproveā€/ā€œdenyā€ option, which would kick back into the Asana task once selected.

1 Like

I wonder if you could use reports to make this easier. If you have custom fields for all your order specs, you could have a report that shows you all tasks where these fields are ā€œnot blankā€ i.e. all order specs have been supplied. The approving officer then makes it a daily habit to check this report and can then update the order approval status.

Does this make sense?

2 Likes

Another idea would be to have a template task for your brochure that have 2 subtasks ā€œApprovedā€ ā€œDeniedā€ on which you are a collaborator. When you are done you assign them to the approving officer and wait for the notification ā€œā€˜Approvedā€™ has been completedā€ for exampleā€¦

You can also write ā€œApprove/Denyā€ in the subtask and the officer has to remove the part he doesnā€™t want and check the task, the end result would be the same.

3 Likes

Great suggestions, @paulminors and @Bastien_Siebman!

@Rachel_Abel Iā€™ve taken the liberty of moving your post to the product feedback area so users can vote on this suggestion.

1 Like

It would be nice to add approve or deny button to the task in the same way we add a dependent task. Because of its basically a dependent subtask. And it should just show up with a button and maybe a way to comment so you can enter why you denied or approved. The button would then shot off a notification like any subtask would when complete to the inbox of who the assignee is the parent task.

4 Likes

My feeling is that ā€œdenyā€ or ā€œapproveā€ is very ā€œprocess-specificā€ where Asana is staying very generic. Unless it is something that can be activated on a per-task basis.

1 Like

+1000 for this request. I am currently using another project manager for work and I wish I could suggest we switch to Asana, but this is a point of contention. We work on a lot of projects with internal partners and we need the approve feature. The recommendations above are great, but are too manual and donā€™t account for multiple approvers or are not friendly for larger groups or groups where the approver isnā€™t necessarily a manager. Having an approval feature where you could tag different people to approve or deny, and make it function like a task (with due dates and reminders) would be helpful.

3 Likes

Yes, on a per-task basis is would I envision.

Yes this is important for us too. I have a CMO who hates being ā€˜assigned to tasksā€™. He just wants to be notified when he has to approve something. He doesnā€™t want more ā€˜tasksā€™.

I understand. If you are willing to get an external solution built to address this need, message me!

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

Hi Bastien - I would like to explore this approval/deny feature too!

Hello from the Asana User Experience Research team!

Weā€™re working on some improvements to support creative teams with their approval workflows.
If youā€™re available next week (11/26/18- 11/30/18) to share your feedback on our early designs, weā€™d love to chat over a 45-minute video call. You would receive a $75 Amazon gift card in exchange for your time.

If youā€™re interested in participating, please tell us a bit more about you using this quick survey: Share your feedback: Asana Proofing + Approvals
Weā€™ll follow up shortly if youā€™re a match for this study. Thank you!

I would love to the an approval feature in Asana, too. Any news on this?

1 Like

The same case, also my CMO donā€™t want to log in to Asana for doing approval. He wants just click one button in email. Is it possible to get this fiture?

Hi everybody! :wave:t5:

Iā€™m more than happy to announce that it is now possible to create approval tasks in Asana :slight_smile: We have recently implemented this feature and you can learn more about it the following announcement: A new type of task is available in Asana. Meet Approvals!

We hope you enjoy it! Iā€™m closing this thread now but if you have any follow-up questions or feedback to share please let us know here or in the #productfeedback category ! Weā€™ll be more than happy to help you!

Have a great Wednesday!