Archiving columns in the board view

+1 PLEASE add this feature! Clearly there is a need for it. Our team uses a different board for each of our “big” projects and columns for all of the sub-projects within and their related tasks. It would be great to archive these columns once the sub-project is complete without losing our entire ongoing project.

It would be great if the column could be deleted and when so all the tasks simply have the board or project tag removed from them.

Our use case is: One ‘OVERVIEW’ board that has major milestone tasks in it added from other projects.

This way some tasks have an OVERVIEW board tag and a PROJECT XX tag

@ASANA are you doing anything about this feedback??? When can we expect this to be implemented?

Yes please. This will help them compete against Trello.

+1

+1
I was just googling to figure out how to do this as we’ve done columns based on releases. I’ve now got two long columns and would love to just archive.

+1 (and +1000 in my PM soul)

+1

This feature is sorely missing

Without it it’s a struggle

+1 - We use boards to track course development. When the course is complete, I’d like to be able to hide the column.

+1 we need this feature for our Editorial Calendar

1 Like

agreed. +1

We are about to move away from this and back to excel spreadsheets because there isnt a way to archive the column.

1 Like

+1 here too, this has been here for years and I’d love to know the status or if there are alternatives to doing this. T_T Got a long column and would really love to archive it.

Hi.
I’m missing this as well but I found a workaround.
Here are the steps:

1. You already have your project (for ex. “PROJECT1”) with your column (for ex. “COLUMN1”) that you want to archive.
  2. Create a new project named “ARCHIVE”.
  3. Inside “ARCHIVE” make a new column that is named exactly the same (in our case “COLUMN1”) as the column that you want to archive from “PROJECT1”.
  4. Inside PROJECT1 go to LIST view.
  5. Sections in List view are actually columns in board view, so find the section “COLUMN1” and show all tasks inside it including completed tasks.
  6. Select all tasks, you can use Shift select to speed up selection.
  7. In the bottom of your screen a smal rounded pop-up menu will appear. Note that at least 2 tasks have to be selected.
  8. Click the icon “Edit project or section”. Another pop-up window will appear showing where the tasks are located.
  9. Clicking the + (Add to project) icon you can add these tasks to another project, in our case select “ARCHIVE” and then the section “COLUMN1” that we created in step 3.
  10. Then in the same window delete the tasks from the original “PROJECT1” by clicking the X next to it that appears when you hover the mouse above.
  11. The last step is to delete the now empty COLUMN1 from PROJECT1.

This way you will have a project dedicated to the archive of all your columns.

Woila!

P.S. So much work for something that should be drag&drop…

Wow - Glad that this is a work around but goodness, the steps to get where I needed

Hi, it would be really helpful if there was an option to archive a column on a board instead of just deleting it.

My company uses Asana boards for every single project and team workflow throughout the organisation and we sometimes have to look back over projects that are completed and revisit the data.
We have entire company roadmaps built in a single board (which works well for us), and in these cases a ‘column’ represents a whole team work stream. When that work stream is completed we don’t want to delete it for the reason outlined above, but right now that’s the only option we have to save the board (and timeline view) becoming enormous and too cluttered.

I’ve already raised this with your support team but want to flag here - it would make such a difference to have this simple feature!

Any thoughts and advice welcome in the meantime.

Thanks

Hannah

Hi @anon81685432 and thanks for sharing your feedback here!

Unfortunately I don’t have a good workaround for archiving columns in Board. It’s a little easier in List projects as you can collapse sections to “hide” them, but as you can see on Archive a Section in a Project this is a popular topic, so hopefully something we can solve in a future update. I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have an update!

Hi Marie,

Thanks for letting me know and offering to keep me updated, I’d really appreciate that, thank you

Best

Hannah

+1
Completely agree, a archive feature on boards would be really helpful.
It would also be helpful to be able to copy a board which you can then paste onto other projects.