Assign multiple assignees on one task

Hi @Samantha_Adams - Thanks for your thoughts! You can read our response this requests in the thread here:

3 Likes

Totally agree, having more then one person on a task is required in our work place! Hope you add it soon!

9 Likes

It would be really helpful for tasks that ask to proof a document, for example. Multiple people need to proof and provide feedback. Having them all on one task allows each user to see the others’ feedback as well.

7 Likes

Hey @Caroline, I usually do a subtask for each person that needs to review it - assign it to them, have the parent task in the description (or just blank). And then set the standard/convention that all discussion on the the item happens in the parent task.

2 Likes

For Project management a RACI feature would be extremely helpful:
Responsible
Accountable
Consulted
Informed

13 Likes

Please Please PLEASE for the love of all things productive and useful, allow US to assign single tasks to multiple people
 PLEASE!

This is an absolute deal breaker for our company.

If I have one task that can be potentially completed by multiple different workers, its up to ME to delegate that task to them and follow up with them if it doesn’t get done.

It is NOT up to Asana to force me to use the task manager the way THEY think is best.

The concept of only ONE person “owning” a task with no possible way to include other workers on the SAME task is essentially creating more work having to manage “who” is in charge of “what” task. In practical real world use It becomes far to difficult to keep in mind “who did what.”

That rigidity is asinine.

Allow US, the business owners to decide who is assigned to the same tasks.

40 Likes

Don’t forget to vote at the top of the thread! Voting is how we measure interest.

1 Like

Hi Alexis,

Do you have any idea if this topic will be added as a new feature anytime soon? While I understand the use of having just one assignee, this creates extra manual work for employees by having to use subtasks and duplicate the same task. This makes task layouts messy, and just outright confusing for all members within the project.

Please let me know! You would make my entire team ecstatic~
Thanks,
Montana

1 Like

Passionate discussion here! FWIW I like the one and only one task owner limitation. In our use if a task can be done by multiple people it sits without an owner until someone is ready to pick it up, If the task is critical it can get a due date and then use search “for things due within X without an assignee”.

I would probably down vote it I could (where is that feature!!!)

If there were a way to associate a task with a team I could see some use for that and assume it could be done via custom fields. Right now if things are far in the future and we are not sure what resource will be assigned we usually assign to the Mgr./Team Leader.

And pardon the soapbox moment
 but great software is more about saying no to features than saying yes. e.g Jared Spool “Experience Rot”

Here’s a counter-intuitive fact: Chances are all those features you’ve been adding to your design are hurting your user experience. Every feature that’s squeezed in, in the name of giving your design a competitive edge, has been making your design less competitive."

4 Likes

Hi @Montana_Fine! This posts describes how our team considers product feedback in the Community:

Sometimes tasks have to be worked in conjunction with other team members and they are both equally responsible for seeing the task through.
Other reasons are the main responsible person may be on vacation and an extra person is needed to take responsibility. not just be a collaborators thinking someone else will complete the task.

2 Likes

I would really like to be able to assign multiple people to one task. We are trying to use Asana as our central organisation point, but we are having trouble with one set of tasks in particular; I am open to suggestions but I can’t think of a good way to handle it other than multiple people to one task.

We have to renew certificates or contracts or agreements at different regular intervals, anywhere from every 3 months for some to 2 years for others. We don’t know which team members will be here in 2 years. If we could assign multiple people to tasks then it would just be a matter of adding new people to the tasks when they come on. As is, we have had to create a group shared email account for these.

I agree with the sentiment of let managers decide how to manage.

2 Likes

I cannot believe this feature still has not been added. Here’s an example:

We have a project called “Birthdays & Holidays.” They are all assigned to me, which is incredibly annoying. I want them to be assigned to the whole team. If I assign copies, it shows “Client Joe’s Birthday” ten times on the team calendar today. Obviously, that won’t work. I want it to show up ONCE on the team calendar, as well as in “My Tasks” for each team member. That way, everyone is aware it is Client Joe’s birthday, and if anyone talks to him today, they can say Happy Birthday.

This would also be helpful for:
“Check the Mail”
“Team Meeting Today at 2:00”
“Office Closed Today”
“Water the Plants”
“Diane on Vacation”

Not all tasks need a “Directly Responsible Individual” - can someone PLEASE make this happen??

7 Likes

Since Asana “knows” what Teams are in Asana and whom is on what team, I could see it helpful to be able to assign something to the Team. Perhaps those would display within a section of the “My Tasks” view called “Team Tasks”.

9 Likes

Why not a shared calendar (outlook, gmail, gsuite) for those sorts of things?:thinking:

As a program focused on tasks (and groups of tasks) I don’t think it will ever be good at those sorts of things (unless they build a whole new calendar feature).

2 Likes

My client wants me to reassign the task to her when I am done - but then I don’t see her comments in my active tasks anymore. Blech. Stupid design.

1 Like

Yes please! Often a few people are responsible for one task. If the task is copied for all of them instead of being issued to them jointly it’s much more difficult to track. It comes up as seperate tasks for each. Its just unwieldy.

It would be a huge improvement and my team members have been asking this since day 1

3 Likes

I also very much agree with having a primary/secondary assignee so Asana’s philosophy of having one person responsible can be respected while customer’s needs can be fulfilled.

5 Likes

Be sure to vote if you’re really excited about this feature! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the “Team Tasks” solution would work great in many levels. I, for one, would use multiple assignees in tasks that work more as reminders than as simply scheduled tasks. In this case the ability to assign a task to a whole team would work wonderfully, showing up only once in the team calendar but also in every member’s “My Tasks”.

2 Likes