The Text, Number, and Dropdown options are nice, but not very exhaustive. There are a number of threads mentioning specific desires for more options, but I wanted to try to make an in-depth list.
Basically, I think there should be a number of different options to “format” data like you can in Excel, with some specialized options that might open up different input or search options.
- Date – This should definitely be its own type so it is standardized and allows for better sorting/searching options (date range, before this date, in the year 2017, etc.). Should allow for an optional date picker like the due date to improve data entry.
- Time – Again, a very standardized format that could have an optional dropdown to better allow for data entry. Right now you have to use a text field for this which makes it nearly useless as people can input data in multiple formats with no way to sort.
- Checkboxes – The dropdown is great, but there are many instances you don’t want to limit the entry to one option.
- Phone number (US or International) – Again, a very common but standardized option that should take 10 (or 7) numbers and format it correctly (and warn if input does not match proper syntax)
- Email – Warn if does not follow proper syntax
- Website – Warn if does not follow proper syntax (could include http:// prefix or not)
- Zip code (US or International) – Ensure follows proper syntax
- Currency options – Display in accounting format or display in proper format depending on country (periods or commas, does currency sign go at beginning or end, etc.)
- Custom formatting – Like in Excel, allow custom options like “@@@00” which someone might use for a project code like “BGT38”.
I’m sure people can think of other options. But I think even this level of sophistication would make Asana more usable as the database that people are turning to other tools like Excel or Airtable for.