Can we get a scaleable left side bar please?

simplicity
projects
interface

The narrow side bar prevents reading longer project names. It would also be nice to have some kind of sorting capability here.

And/or folder capability… ( within favorites)

Thanks for the feedback, @drogall and @Edwin_Rooijakkers ! We haven’t yet officially announced how we’re collecting product feedback in the forum, but I assure you we see your thoughts.

@drogall the sorting capability is an interesting idea. Under what circumstances do you think this would be most helpful? And are you looking more for a sort A to Z type thing or a filter where you can, for instance, search for all projects with “Q4” in the title?

@Edwin_Rooijakkers I assume you’re familiar with the existing project favoriting capability? Just click the star next to a project name when the project is open. Also, for clarity’s sake, could you elaborate on what you mean by folder capability?

One thing that helps me is grouping and color coordinating similar projects in my side bar. For instance, all my 1:1 and meeting-specific projects are colored pink. I use the drop down icon in each project to select a color (and check to make sure I’m only changing the color for me, not for everyone).

Thanks!

Most of the task management platforms I’ve used before allow for the categorization of items in some way. The UI then allows those categories to be collapsed at the top level so you can drill down as needed. I was so shocked that Asana didn’t provide for this that it was almost a dealbreaker for my team, because our primary use is for an editorial calendar and I envisioned hundreds of projects running down the left pane. That crisis was averted when I saw that each content item could be a task in one huge project instead of its own project, but we still have way too many projects in the left pane and have to click “More Projects” and scroll constantly. We also have to manually alphabetize the projects whenever a new one is created. We use favorites, but by definition that only makes sense for a handful of projects or it defeats the point.

We would like the ability to assign each project to one (preferably one or more) categories, and have the categories listed in the left pane as expandable. This way the left pane might only show:

Content Projects
Meetings
Personnel
Administrative

…much less cluttered. I think you’re trying to cram too much into the left pane, and it’s become a bit of a mess visually. At the moment, we don’t work with other teams, so a chunk of the left pane is taken up by something we never use. (It’s not that we’re antisocial, it’s that all the other teams in our organization are users who tried out Asana once but don’t actually use it on a regular basis.)

I think the key to this working is the “preferably one or more categories”. Allowing only one category would lead to the classic problem of "should I put my kitchen table in the “kitchen” category, the “furntiture” category or the “things made of wood” category.

It would be great to be able to set the width of the left sidebar to a larger width.
We preface our projects with a project number followed by title. Im sure others do this also,
With a sidebar width of 244px the project titles are truncated.

Having the ability to have this responsive or at least 100px larger would be awesome.