Chat Feature Request

Our organization would really like the option to have a chat pop-up feature for a specific conversation. Our law firm uses one team chat for instant messaging each other when certain people are on the phone, someone’s got a delivery, etc.

Their chief complaint is that they forget to check the messages because there’s no pop-up feature in the bottom right corner of the screen (similar to something like Skype’s messaging service). It wouldn’t be practical to apply this to every single team conversation but if you could add the option to turn this feature on or off for each team conversation, then it would be manageable & people would receive pop-up notifications for the team conversations that they would like to.

Please let me know if this is something that could be done. Thank you.

1 Like

Agree… our team could really use a chat feature… if it was connected to a conversation, even better!

4 Likes

Agreed, we would really love a chat feature.

4 Likes

Same here. Slack like chat would be great. We spend way more time in slack

4 Likes

A lightweight chat client - with basic group chat channels where user could also attached the chat to a task AND direct private messages to other Asana users. We currently use Slack and it’s Asana integration but that’s two tools that could simply be one.

4 Likes

Our organization would really like the option to have a chat pop-up feature for a specific conversation. Our law firm uses one team chat for instant messaging each other when certain people are on the phone, someone’s got a delivery, etc.

Their chief complain is that they forget to check the messages because there’s no pop-up feature in the bottom right corner of the screen (similar to something like Skype’s messaging service). It wouldn’t be practical to apply this to every single team conversation but if you could add the option to turn this feature on or off for each team conversation, then it would be manageable & people would receive pop-up notifications for the team conversations that they would like to.

Please let me know if this is something that could be done. Thank you.

3 Likes

Will there be any chat feature in the near future to discuss with your teammates very easily. I would love to have a feature, like google hangout, where you can easy chat with your teammates on short notice to discuss certain topics, which needed to be done quickly or the set up a short group chat. I know there are app integrations, but I don’t think these are very user-friendly.

Do you mean aside from conversations? I feel like while they’re not as instant/quick as like…Slack, they’re still pretty darn fast. I don’t see Asana wading into the chat sphere, but I could be wrong.

We just use Slack for it (and hoping for the asana integration to get rolling on more advanced things! ;DD)

The combo Asana-Slack might be the best indeed, Slack teams are using Asana themselves if my informations are correct!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I still think its very annyoing using the slack integration. But indeed, it is still faster than conversations. But I would be very pleased, because I don’t know why Asana doesnt want to step into the chat sphere. It would totally make sense and would make your work faster as well.

1 Like

I imagine the feature would cost a hell of a lot!

With AIM being shutdown at the end of 2017, my team is looking for a platform to easily text chat across the warehouse. We used AIM on a daily basis, but we also have Asana open at all times. I saw some other people request the same thing, but I think it would be a good time to implement this.

@Ken_Gronemann just merged your feedback as we already a post on this topic! :slight_smile:

An instant messenger feature would be very nice for communicating without generating clutter like comments do.

2 Likes

There should be a Team chat function if you are looking to have discussions over a certain project. Yes we could use Slack or other apps, but it would be a lot easier to keep everything in one app.

4 Likes

Hi @Egil_Arntzen! Are you already using project conversations? Send Messages to Other Asana Users • Asana Product Guide

Would it be nice if there was an integrated chat function and more onscreen notifications related to team comments and updates?

Not sure if there is a way to turn on notifications, but integrated chat doesn’t seem to exist.

Emails seem to work…

Asana has some integrations with chats, such as slack (Slack + Asana • Asana). Maybe it can help.

However, having a simple chat tool inside Asana, would surely be something interesting.

Hi @Patrick_East and welcome to the Forum!

@Millor_Machado, thanks for jumping in; you’re completely right, as it stands there is no chat function built-in Asana but there are some chat integrations compatible with Asana; Slack is probably the most popular one!

We already have a thread on this topic in the Forum, so I have gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to gather all feedback on one singe thread.

Thanks, will check it out!