Check out Asana’s new feature! Boards

@DaveLHurd thanks for the suggestion! I’m not able to speak to the likelihood that this could realistically become an option, but I’ll definitely pass the suggestion to our product team. In the meantime, I do think your best bet is to copy tasks. A trick that could make this easier is to create what we call template tasks using a naming convention such as putting TEMPLATE in caps before any task title. An example task title would be “TEMPLATE Weekly schedule.” Then, each time you need that type of task, rather than copying a task that’s already in use, you can easily copy a clean template task. What do you think of that idea? Let us know if you have other questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like the idea of Board, but would it be possible to convert existing projects to Board from List? I don’t want to create a new project from an existing which already has so many tasks in progress. Thanks.

Love the new Boards layout. Anyway to sort tasks within columns by date? Thanks

@Chris_Buckley While this isn’t yet possible within the column view, you do have a few options to view Boards tasks by date.

a)Modify your current View:

b)Customize an advanced search

Then view as a list and sort as needed

I deleted my older account as it was tied to a personal email and wanted one tied to my company email.

Now I lost the access to the boards based on this article? Set up Board view for your Project • Asana Product Guide
I get the company needs to “test” but… um, now I feel like im at a loss here.

I hate task lists and prefer boards. One of the reasons I an testing out new PM platforms. Teamwork is what I use now and I can’t stand the lists.

Anyone know how to get boards back? @Alexis Any help for a new guy? lol

1 Like

@Rich_Lamendola Thanks for visiting the Community! We want to help. This looks like a specific account issue. We want to keep your private information private, so in this case I suggest you reach out to our support team here. They’ll be able to help you sort this out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Alexis thanks so much, I took the time to write them yesterday with a clear email explaining the situation. I even took a screenshot of your suggestion. Just got the pre-written script email suggesting I join this community. Or pay for premium and get some better attention. Honestly, I have no problem paying for the service, but can’t see paying and not getting the boards.

Perhaps you can reach out to someone to take ownership here and help?

I would like to become more active on here and offer suggestions for improvement and help others as i’ve been helped.

Thanks,

1 Like

@Rich_Lamendola Boards are available to free account, I was testing Asana for almost a week before upgrading to premium and was using boards the entire time. Like @Alexis said this is probably a specific account issue which their support team needs to fix.

1 Like

@Alexis While I’m in this topic I might as well ask about a few features we are sorely missing from Trello on Asana Boards : Archiving

I assume Archiving for Cards and Lists are in development but when could we expect to see it available?

Technically you can “archive” cards now by hitting the checkbox and using an incomplete task view but to be on par with the kanban style system I should be able to archive (hide) a specific card and even an any list with many cards. This would free up the clutter and give another level of hierarchy to the boards work flow.

1 Like

Totally hear you, Brian. Thanks for reaching out. As you can see I was
directed to bring this to customer support. I took those instructions and
did so yesterday. And received a canned response today suggesting I go back
to the community.

The note on the website says that the boards are being tested as an option
and any accounts created before a certain date would have access to those.

Thanks again and looking forward to chatting and learning.

1 Like

Our apologies for this back and forth! Reaching out to you via private message to discuss this, Rich. Thanks.

1 Like

maybe a dumb question but how do I move a column from one project to another?

Hey @Liz

Sadly, that’s not possible at the moment. It would be a great feature, though, and would put Asana on par with Trello.

The only workaround I can think of - and this would probably take longer than just adding all the tasks from scratch - is to go into each task and add it to the other project to which you want to move. Then go into the other project and remove each task from the original. What makes this so slow at the moment is that you can’t multi-select tasks in a board, the way you can in a list.

Hopefully that will change soon.

We are in the process of migrating from Trello to Asana. The lack of ability to archive a card (task) is causing us to question if Asana is going to be the right fit for us. I would hate for something so seemingly small to be in the way, but it has been nearly 2 years since Boards were released and it seems that Asana will not be addressing the archive request. Does anyone have any insight into (a) an effective workaround, or (b) if Asana has this on their roadmap, and if so when their next update is expected?

Do you have any plans to enhance boards at all. They seem like they haven’t seen much love since they launched, and I have just switched from Trello.

Asana is definintely behind in this department but we use Asana for everything else so we’re tryingto make boards work too.

Some suggestions

1. Loading speed - Clicking cards takes 500ms to load. It may be small but Trello preloads their cards so they open instantly.
  2. Ability to move cards between lists from dropdown menu. When there are a lot of lists, this takes a while to slide cards allllll the way to the right.
  3. More items besides “delete” in the popup menu. This would help with the above #2

Are Boards available on free version as well? Do not see the feature.

Found. Please disregard.

On a board view, it’s possible to filter tasks so that it shows only mine, however, there is no way to bookmark this state, which means that everytime I load my board I have to filter it again. Would be nice to have the URL update so it is something like: asana.com/boards/blah?filter=mine or whatever.