China access - Asana blocked?

china
vpn
ssh

Anyone successfully using Asana in China? Having major connectivity issues without a VPN.

Hi @ABY

Users in China, generally, may have trouble accessing cloud-based services. For that reason, companies with a globally distributed workforce - using web applications like Asana - often implement networking technologies and configurations like VPN, secure shell (SSH) tunneling, and proxy servers, in order to serve users from multiple geographic locations.

Ultimately, any company serving workers in mainland China will have to find a solution that works best for them.

Wish I had better news for you though it sounds like setting up a VPN is the best way to do so!

China is doubling down on it’s control of unregulated VPN’s, it will only get harder to use SaaS based outside of mainland China now and in the future.

More specifically it appears that cloudfront.net has been blocked in the last few weeks. Asana uses them to serve us Asana.

I have been a customer of Asana for a years, but the gradual degradation of service has reached the point of no return for me as a customer. Asana clearly has no plan for expansion to mainland China, and I am looking to move on as it’s severely affecting the ability for me team to use the product.

The product is great, a little too unstructured for the calibre and org ability of the people in my team, but that’s not Asana’s fault.

Simply put, we are too small of a customer segment for them to expend resources to support us. Again, not Asana’s fault, some things are simply a matter of geography.

In the interim, I recommend looking at bleeding edge proxy services to solve your immediate problems. I also recommend going through HK for your traffic.