Coffee talk: Using Asana for fun

Hello, Community!

In our office, we’re winding down towards Christmas – secret Santas, team lunches, tinsel on computer monitors, etc – and someone suggested that we have a festive buffet on Friday, with everyone bringing in some food. A colleague on my team said, ‘What if too many people bring the same thing?’ Another joked, ‘We should set up an Asana project to organise it!’

So I did. We now have a project titled ‘Festive Christmas buffet’, split into 2 categories: savoury and sweet. Everyone just adds a task describing what they’ll bring, then assigns it to themselves. This makes me happy for a few reasons:

1. It’s another excuse to use Asana.
  2. I genuinely don’t like it when too many people bring the same thing to a buffet.
  3. (most importantly) I take this as a sign that Asana is truly embedded in our team now, and they’re thinking about how to use it outside of its main, mandatory purpose.

This is an example of having some fun with Asana but still using it genuinely to get stuff done.

Another example would be when my wife and I recently took a (much belated) 10th anniversary trip to London, and I created a project with sections for each day, sub-sections for am and pm, and listed some of the activities we’d considered doing. I was able to add postcodes, opening hours and entry fees to descriptions, and I ticked off tasks as we visited museums or took a walk from the South Bank to Trafalgar Square. I should point out, this wasn’t as obsessive and sad as it sounds - we just both generally have far too much to remember, so it was useful to think about all of this stuff in the weeks before and have it handy on my phone for when we’d forgotten what we’d planned to do!

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else had found fun, non-official ways to use Asana. I’m sure the possibilities are endless.

This is great if your team thought about Asana right away.

I did the same and organized my latest week-end with Asana, and 3 years ago I organized my wedding with it. I planned everything myself in Asana, then printed the project and handed a copy to each person involved.

I am also using Asana to list gift ideas, then gift chosen for everyone, then archives the project each year to refer back to it and make sure I don’t buy the same thing.

Also keeping a project with movies/series ideas to watch.

Wow, I’m impressed that you used it to plan your wedding! That’s a whole other level of Asana zen mastery.

I did plan to use it for Christmas this year, but I’m doing the usual last-minute chaos instead. I love that idea, though, of archiving the project so you remember what you got last year. Genius move.

I also have a list of movies/books, although it’s more of a wishlist than a realistic plan, considering we have movies recorded form last Christmas that we still haven’t watched yet!

Great examples, Bastien. Thanks. :slight_smile:

About the gift, email yourself ideas all year long, then when December arrives you just need to buy without thinking :stuck_out_tongue:

:joy: I love this. It doesn’t sound obsessive or sad at all! Just sounds like a great way to put together an organized trip.

What a delightful, fulfilling moment! You must feel a sense of pride in knowing your efforts have not gone unnoticed. Congratulations to you on successfully helping your team adopt Asana and in doing so, helping them be more productive. I love that you all used Asana for planning the buffet and +1 to the not liking when more than one person brings the same thing to a buffet.

Yay! Quite a few people who work at Asana have used the platform to organize their weddings, as well!

I do this too!

…okay I got pretty quote-happy in this post lol. But I relate to all of this and find it delightful. I think Asana is really helpful for travel overall, from shopping for hotels to collecting favorite places to see. I also like to use Asana for different lists, in particular fun activities. It’s easy to see something and say - cool I want to do that - but then forget about it. So, I have a project in Asana for keeping track of all the activities I haven’t done that I want to do. I also have a friend who keeps a list of activities that she specifically wants to do by herself. It’s a great way to foster self care and appreciation. She recently checked off a “solo adventure” on her list, where she packed a backpack and started walking through the city. She went to cafes, museums, and explored the city and walked 9 miles through the hills of San Francisco!

That is so cool @Mark_Hudson :slight_smile: I plan my holidays with Asana too and don’t stress about completing every task or respecting a strict schedule, but for people who like to plan ahead it’s quite a nice resource. Or for forgetful people, my What to pack? project is a lifesaver. I always forgot the adaptors before Asana.

@Bastien_Siebman you’re not alone. We have a few more asanas who either planned or are planning their weddings with the tool. I would love to see a side by side of how different people organize and manage the same event.

As far as most creative personal use cases: A friend uses it to plan her wardrobe and outfits daily. She has wish lists and a calendar of when her favorite brands have new collections or sales on.

There should be a template
[Steps and annual to dos for a healthy marriage]
including things like spontaneous romantic weekends and gifts :slight_smile:

Having “spontaneous romantic weekends” as a task is ironic :sweat_smile:

I’m definitely seeing more scope for using Asana to plan things generally. I like the idea of keeping an activities list, which you can check off later. I did find that very useful in London. I just didn’t want it to sound like I’d planned our anniversary trip down to the minutest detail, completing tasks as we strolled through Hyde Park!

It did make me proud when someone other than me said ‘We should use Asana . . .’ He was half-joking, but everyone quickly bought into it, and I’m actually just munching some of our buffet food right now!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who relies on lists to keep my life on-track! Using Asana to plan a wardrobe is a very creative idea. I’m actually thinking of using it to help my daughter start learning to dress herself. She loves ticking things off on touch-screens (we do our shopping that way sometimes), so she might like to tick off clothes as she learns to put them on all by herself. Anything to make that process easier!

This is fun to see all additional uses of Asana outside work. Personnaly, I also use ASANA for my housework list at home, and even to manage my wine cellar :wink: I can filter the list by wine type or by the year they should be appreciated :-), very useful !

This just became my favorite way to use Asana outside work. Adding a task to follow-up with you on progress :slight_smile:

Hi @Mark_Hudson

I am about to embark on planning my entire wedding using Asana as well! 13 months out - time to smash out some project and tasks :stuck_out_tongue: !

My advice would be: for the big day have a project with the timeline and hand-out print of the project to family members involved :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations! Good luck with the planning. :tada:

Interestingly I do the same… keeping different Workspaces… Need one unified Workspace…