Create Project as per template using developer API

Hi,

In Asana There is the ability to launch new projects using templates with pre defined subtask, timelines and assignments.

I would like to set this up so each “TYPE” has a specific template that is used.

I would like to start with WEBSITES as the first one and then we will define the templates for the other TYPEs as we go.

Thanks,
Ashish

4 Likes

Templates are not part of the API yet, @Matt_Bramlage maybe you can provide more insights?

Any ETA on creating projects from templates via API?

Asana never gives any ETA on features… :frowning:

Please asana enable creating projects from templates via API. Would make the tool so much more powerful!

4 Likes

Nudging this thread - any more news on templates being supported via the API?

We’re starting to use project template extensively, and it would be create to be able to dynamically generate templates based upon external actions, without having to create the entire project step by step via the API.

1 Like

This is so heavily needed and the first question I get from automation experts I talk to when thinking about switching to Asana.

Sadly, they get disinterested in Asana after hearing you can not utilize premade templates via the API. Things like this are integral when it comes to automation and consistency.

2 Likes

Also looking to create projects from Templates through the API… It seems backwards that we cannot do that.

1 Like

This would be an important feature to have that would allow an external intake form to pass data into a template.

We use templates to keep similar processes within a set of guidelines and utilize task prerequisites. There have been several requests to our automation teams to have this ability, but can’t provide this…yet.

1 Like

Any update on this? I seem to be coming back on a monthly basis checking to see if there has been any progress made on this yet.

Thanks!

It’s not as easy as using templates from the API, but we’ve created workflows in Airtable that I then use Zapier to add into projects in Asana (requires some Zapier javascript). In this way we’ve separated the logic from the software and if we ever wanted to move off of Asana, we’re not tied to the templates in Asana like we were with Basecamp. It’s certainly not as easy as accessing the templates from the API, but in the end, I think it’s ultimately a better solution.

I would like to get a bit clearer understanding maybe through a specific illustration what is being requested here. We have created Sendana Add that is quite robust in creating new projects from any other project or tasks contained in other projects to be added to another project so I would like to understand the automated piece of the discussion.

soon…

(We’re in the process of writing documentation for this feature and will be announcing it once that’s been published.)

5 Likes

It’s launched!

3 Likes

Woohoo! Just made my day, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like