Creating 'ghost' assignees

Hi

I manage between five and ten operatives on a construction site at any time. Although I would never expect them to use Asana, I would still like to be able to assign tasks to them just for my benefit.

Is it possible to create assignees without creating accounts so that I can list separately the tasks I’ve assigned to each operative. It would be great to be able to print off a list for each guy at the click of a button as well.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

What you can do is create a gmail address dan-murphy@gmail.com and then create an Asana account for dan-murphy+1@gmail.com, dan-murphy+2@gmail.com etc. It will be seen as different addresses by Asana but all emails will arrive at dan-murphy@gmail.com so you will be able to validate the accounts. Does it make sense?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. It would be good if Asana allowed me to create assignees without having to set up outside email addresses though. Is this possible?

My intuition is that you can actually invite someone with a “fake” email address. He will never get the email but you will be able to assign task to him. Can you try?

This does work, but you are at risk of exposing the project to unknown third parties if the address you attempt turns out not to be fake.

Falsifying data should never be an official product solution. Asana needs a feature to permit non-email assignees and it needs it yesterday. This is included in competing applications.

8 Likes

One idea for this is to use an additional field. Still a little bit of a workaround, but better than fake gmail addresses.

why?

This is my understanding:

• It is work to set up a fake address
  • The fake address takes up a license and therefore costs money

That’s the thing: if you are setup with an org and use gmail for fake addresses they will be guest and you won’t pay for them. It takes 2min per address I would say.

1 Like