Creating projects from template adds new project's subtasks back to template

subtasks
custom-template

Does anyone have a good way to duplicate a project/build new projects from a template where a) tasks have subtasks and b) those subtasks are added to the parent project for the sake of visibility?

I am having an issue with this–every time I create a new project from a template where this is the setup, a copy of the subtask from the new project gets added to the parent task in the template. Example of what I mean:

Let’s say I have a project template (“TEMPLATE”) with a task (“TASK1”) and three subtasks (“SUBTASK1”, “SUBTASK2”, “SUBTASK3”). Because I want the subtasks to be connected to the parent project, I have also added SUBTASK1, 2, and 3 to TEMPLATE.

When I create a new project using TEMPLATE as the template, the new project (“PROJECT2”) is created correctly, everything transfers over fine. However, when I click on TASK1 in TEMPLATE, I now see two copies of each subtask: SUBTASK1, SUBTASK1, SUBTASK2, SUBTASK2, SUBTASK3, SUBTASK3. One for TEMPLATE, the other for PROJECT2.

Now, if I create another project from TEMPLATE, the new project (“PROJECT3”) ends up with two sets of each subtask: one set for PROJECT3, and one set from PROJECT2, because those were somehow copied into TEMPLATE when I created PROJECT2.

The same behavior occurs when I turn TEMPLATE into a regular project and duplicate it.

Anyone else seen this? Workarounds? Help!

Subtasks get duplicated when I create a project from a template

Hi @Jake_Forsland! To start, I’ll confirm that what you’re doing is accurate and what you’re seeing with subtask duplication is the expected behavior. One idea would be for you to maintain two copies - one with the tethering and one without, and only copy the non-tethered. But this brings up the question of why those subtasks are tethered to the parent.

Let’s dig into what the “sake of visibility means”. Could you elaborate here on the visibility you’re looking for?

…Because if is’ visibility you’re seeking, then you might consider re-shaping your project altogether. Subtasks are by nature nested in tasks and not visible in the parent project. So, instead you could elevate your tasks to sections and then elevate your subtasks to tasks. This way you don’t have to worry about tethering subtasks to the parent project and you eliminate the initial problem altogether. What do you think?