Delete old ASSIGNEE names from drop down menus

I have deleted ASSIGNEE names from my projects and cancelled their invitations.

But their ASSIGNEE names continue to appear in the drop down menus.

How to do delete them from the drop down menus?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @djgoncalves. The names that appear in the assignee drop down list are automatically added based on recency and people who are associated with the task or project. If there is someone remaining in your org, but you don’t assign tasks to them anymore, they’ll drop off eventually. Alternatively, if you completely remove them from the org they will no longer appear on the list.

Note that if a deprovisioned member still shows up in the typeahead when a current Member is assigning tasks, you’ll need to invite them back to a Team for the sole purpose of deprovisioning them.

It’s possible that you removed someone from a Team (in a free Organization), but did not remove them from the Organization. If this is the case, the user will continue to show up in the typeahead. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Deprovisioning was the issue. Added them back & then re-deleted. Problem solved. Thanks very much!

2 Likes

I have a free organization and don’t see how I can remove someone from the overall organization. Within organization settings, I just have a general tab but can’t see any additional place a user can be removed.

Hi @Lucas_Summer! As it stands, in order to remove a member from your Organisation, you and the member you’re looking to remove, must belong at least to one Team in common. So if this person is not yet member of one of your Team, you must first invite them into a Team you belong to. This can be done following the 3 steps listed below:

1. Access any team’s Settings from the sidebar: How to Create, Join, and Manage teams in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
  2. Navigate to the Members tab
  3. Invite this person you want to remove: How to Create, Join, and Manage teams in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Once you’re sure the members you’re looking to remove are member of one of your Team, simply follow the 4 steps below:

1. Head over to your Team Member’s list and use your mouse to hover over their name
  2. Click Remove
  3. Then, click Remove Access
  4. Finally, click Deprovision

Note that it is 3 clicks: Remove > Remove Access > Deprovision

The second click removes the person from the team, and the third click fully removes them from your Organization. For a visual demonstration, you can also refer to the GIF in this article: Setting up an organization in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Hope this helps!

6 Likes

This does not resolve the issue. I also have the free account. I need to remove people from the list to avoid errors in assignment for people no longer working with me.

6 Likes

@Jeri_Birkes Is it possible that you have removed these members from a Team but not from the entire Organization? Have you followed the three “Remove > Remove Access > Deprovision” steps?

I still can’t get the names of old team members to delete from the list–help!

Hi @Caroline_Dutton and sorry for the mate follow-up! Could you please reach out to our support team (Asana Support - Help Center • Asana > “I’m having trouble with” > Let’s chat) so they can take a closer look into this for you?

Are there any plans to clamp down on who can be @ mentioned on a task within a project? We’re a marketing agency and we share our project boards with our clients, but they should not be able to see the projects of our other clients. However, when we have clients that have similar names to our internal team, they’re getting erroneously @mentioned on cards occasionally.
It seems to me that for security and anonymity for marketing teams, only people with whom the project has been shared should appear in the dropdowns for the projects. Or maybe a pop up saying “@whoever isn’t a member of this project, are you sure you want to assign them this card” and “@whoever isn’t a member of this project, are you sure you want to tag them on this task and add them as a collaborator?”

1 Like

Is there any way to remove someone from that drop-down list without removing them from the organization? I use Asana for personal tasks, but my email address is tied to my university’s organization. I don’t want to remove other people from the university’s organization, but I keep accidentally clicking on them in the dropdown lists.

Maybe the dropdown lists can be restricted to teams? In that case, it’s just me.

1 Like

Hi @Page_Kirkpatrick, I’m afraid that’s not possible at the moment!

This topic was automatically closed after 33 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.