Dependencies diagram view

I’d love to see a diagram of all of my tasks that either depend on other tasks, or that have tasks that depend on them. If I could visualize them, it would help me immensely. The timeline view is sort of helpful, but I don’t actually want to assign due dates to things, and I don’t want to have to drag each task into the timeline to see whether it has any dependencies or not.

7 Likes

+1 - This is very insightful. I could see how it would be useful.

I could not agree more. Not all of my tasks have hard due dates, but it would be great to have a network diagram of task dependencies.

1 Like

Yep, +1. I want to only show the critical path on the diagram…so can you exclude the >0 float tasks from the timeline?

I’m currently stumbling across the same limitation. It’d would be good to have a way to view this.

Is there any way to do that?

We definitively need this too!

Would love to have it as well!

+1 This feature would be really useful to me as well. I need to plan out a clear dependency tree before the meeting with the assignees where we actually decide the dates.

Agreed 100% ! Would love this feature

One more vote on this one. My project has dependencies, but not timelines. A dependency graph despite timelines would be super useful.

1 Like

Please this feature is so important. Having this would make so clear, what to do next.

When it comes to implementing this view I think using the Timeline is totally fine.

If a task B is blocked by another task A, simply visualize B one day later than A.
Every task (some other task depends on) is soft due today, meaning visualized in the timeline as today.

It’s certainly not a replacement for Asana developing this feature, but I was messing around with this today and wrote a little python script to generate a DOT diagram with this type of dependency graph.

The script is here: A quick click CLI tool to generate a DOT file from an asana project · GitHub

If people find it useful, I’d be happy to make the resulting diagrams a little more fleshed out. At the moment it just shows the name of each task with some arrows in a visualization.

I’d love this feature too.
Being able to display a dependencies graph based on a selection of tasks (filtered)

+1