Dependencies with date

I don’t know if this is allready a feature, but i have now been able to find it. I would like that when i create a template, i can set all the task with dependencies so that i only have to enter the date on the last one, then the rest will automatically get a date for the task.
E.g. I want to install a machine on the 21/8 but 10 days before i want to ship machine and 10 days before that i want to start construction. This is a procedure i often do, so i have set up a template for it with a lot more task than i mentioned there. Now i have to enter the data for all the task whenever i make a new project from the template.
But i would like the function so i just enter the date i want to install, then dependencies makes it so that all the other date are automatically filled out.
Is this something that will be an option?

Check the Relative Due Dates

Hi @Mads_Skott,

I’m working on a solution that does that. We should have a working prototype in about 6-8 weeks.

How urgent do you need this?

2 Likes

Hello @Millor_Machado,
It is not a feature that i need urgently but is something i would like to see implemented. When it is implemented i would start using it right away to properly set up the templates i have.

That’s great @Mads_Skott! I’ll let you know when I have the beta version.

Are you able to let me know when you have this Beta version? This is exactly what we need. We had just planned to have our tasks laid out on a timeline and select all the tasks and drop and drag them to the new date, but I just found out Asana only lets you select up to 50 tasks at a time.

I estimate it will be available by the end of October.

Did this get implemented? I see dependency set up in some of the Asana templates but after defining your END date and it generates the project the date linkage is broken.

Eg. Event Planning Template:

1. I selected May 19 as the end date and it plotted the project.
  2. I noticed the date applied to the last task… not the event itself (not good). So the followup tasks are all scheduled to complete by May 19 but the DAY OF EVENT is actually April 21.
  3. If I move the DAY OF EVENT items all of the other items SHOULD move but while the tasks are dependent the dates and timing are not. This method actually makes more work for a user.

The ability to set time-based events is essential in project planning software. Right now this is simply a nicer looking of list of things to do.

So I just found the guide on auto-adjusting dates and this answers/fixes some of the issues but it is still not great. First… it doesn’t look the dependent tasks are defined in the templates… simply sections titled 2 weeks prior, 1 week after, etc. So that means you would have to draw each of those dependencies manually on the template.

Secondly, even when implemented it is not great. If you define a dependent tasks with 1 week follow up. If you move the core task closer to the dependent task it will move accordingly (if there is an overlap) BUT if you move it backwards your dependent task stays put. That seems a bit silly.

I thought surely that can’t be the case - but I just checked about a dozen built-in templates and I couldn’t find any with dependencies. @Marie or @Natalia, could you verify it’s true that none of the built-in templates from Asana are built with dependencies?

FYI the “Auto-Adjust Workflow” type in my Flowsana integration doesn’t have this behavior - it will move dependent tasks forward OR backward.

Can you sell them your fix? LOL. It really is an essential aspect of project planning. As an end-user, I would love your product but I am merely a cog in a huge corporate wheel and that would require 100s if not 1000s of licenses at $3/month/each.

That would be OK with me. :slight_smile:

But seriously, with Flowsana you’re not paying for every user in your whole organization, only those who are directly involved with workflow-enabled projects. We should probably take this “offline” to Direct Messaging but perhaps we could explore it a bit further. I’ll send you a DM.

1 Like

lol. just a worker bee with no purchasing power. The team (whole company actually) are pretty new to Asana so we’ll have to see how it works for us. For the most part it has been great and better than the previous. My “want to have” features may be different from others or not an issue in the long run. It’s good to know there are options if it comes to it though. Thanks.