Do you track your time?

I tried about 10 or more different timer apps. Depends a lot on what functionality you want from them. So far I am still testing toggle, paymo, yaware, and time doctor. Time doctor is my favorite so far because of the way they did their desktop app, very convenient, something that I didn’t see at others. It could be that for vast functionality I would use 2 or 3 apps at the same time. There could be also different requirements for myself and my team (some people would use auto-timer like yaware or manic time or paymo, or rescue time when others would like to be more proactive and say what they are tracking and getting other details in there).
I tried everything from harvest to everhour to hour stack (it has to limited functionality for me) but so far I am into this 3 of them.

Did you find a good solution for yourself? What do you like about it?

Is it fair to say that Everhour provides the best integration with Asana out of all the options?

Are there any cheaper options out there that provide this level of integration?

Frustrated user here. I’ve been flitting about over the past few years looking for the best way to manage tasks, track time and track project budgets in our office of 6 people. I wish Asana will build in their own solution; we’d happily upgrade for that.

We’ve been trialing Avaza, which includes all features needed (and competitively priced at $25 for 6 users) but we found that there’s too much friction when it comes to task management and we missed Asana’s 1-click for almost any action.

So I’ve come back for another look at Asana integrations. I’m trialing Everhour now which is nicely integrated, but at $42/mth it’s almost twice the price of Avaza (an entire project management suite) and $42 more than Asana itself.

1 Like

I’m going to miss Asana and we’ll be back as soon as we can but at the moment we just can’t justify paying over the odds for third party time trackers.

We need Asana to build in its own.

1 Like

Hi Christian - Please refer to your private message inbox. Thanks!

The link to your video about time tracking with a custom field is broken. Could you give me an updated link? Thanks!

1 Like

@Ian_Hartsook You can find the course here, and we’re working on an updated version of the course that I will have ready the week after next- stay tuned :smile:

1 Like

@Kaitie Thanks!

Our updated Time Tracking course is live in Asana Academy here: https://academy.asana.com/series/master-asana/time-tracking-course if you’re interested in checking it out. It has the same material as linked above, but now chapterized with short quizzes.

2 Likes

We’ve been using another application for task management and time tracking and it’s been frustrating because I really miss the frictionless nature of task management in Asana.

And it suddenly occurred to me today that time tracking and task management don’t necessarily go together; because we don’t necessarily want to track time on tasks. We want to track time projects and categories of tasks. For instance, as architects, we want to track how long someone spent drafting and under which project but we don’t need to track how long they spent adding a door to revision B of drawing 103. It’s enough to track which project and what kind of task; maybe what kind of drawing, but nothing more than that.

So I was wondering: are any of the time trackers available for Asana capable of tracking time at a project level rather than the task level? And maybe even a category level if using custom fields perhaps?

But I do wonder if time-tracking inside Asana is a useful thing in our case at all. Why track time in Asana if we’re not going to track time on tasks? Why not just use a separate application altogether?

1 Like

I think I understand now why Asana is not that interested in building a time tracker into Asana. My experience is that this inevitably compromises task management.

Any suggestions for best standalone time tracking for Mac/iOS?

1 Like

I have been tracking my time for many years now and the most recent couple of years I have been using Timecamp in combination with Asana and while I have my gripes with Timecamp, I still think it is the one time tracking tool that integrates best with Asana, mainly because most (all?) other tools I have tried are unable to handle Asanas flexible task hierarchy (or don’t support task hierarchies beyond 1-3 levels at all).

There are a few things that I like better with Everhour but it has some dealbreaking drawbacks for my use case, such as that it is rather cumbersome to edit time entries (like when you forgot to switch the timer to the next task or that they don’t support international time formats, or the above mentioned lack of support for the Asana task hierarchy - e.g. sub-tasks are tracked as separate tasks).

I wrote about how I use Asana and Timecamp here on my blog.

2 Likes

Perfect use case, Christoph! Thanks!

I am one more Asana.com + Toggl.com happy user and supporter :slight_smile:

toggl.com and timeneye.com have free version and free for life for nps (resepectively) I’m experimenting with both now. So far, i like the timesheet interface of timeneye but the android app widget on the phone for toggl…

decisions decisions. I wish i was a developer and i could just design what i want… lol. but yeah. I run a nonprofit… lol.

2 Likes

you could do that in toggl with the asana integration (which makes a button show up next to a task) and the projects you identify within the toggl dashboard. So even though the task is where you “press go” you categorize it as whatever you want, as identified in toggl. I’ve just been playing with it for a day so far though so…

how do i integrate hubstaff?

Just follow the instructions here Hubstaff + Asana • Asana :slight_smile:

How soon will resource planning roll out?

Hi @Getz_Pro! We aren’t able to speak to a specific timeline, but we appreciate your enthusiasm on this!

A bit more than enthusiasm. I am evaluating Asana for a client. Jira (currently using) vs. Asana. Neither currently does time tracking, but if this goes live in 2018 that would be a plus. Although permissions is a larger hurdle.

1 Like