Export to .CSV - UTF8 Issue

** !!! SOLUTION !!! **

I cannot believe solution turned out to be so simple, no JSON first, Excel later workflow. No complex Macros. Nothing.

I will divide this solution into two parts:

1. Export one file VS multiple files

First of all, to minimize the number of steps required for this workaround, it’s preferred to export one file. For example, if you have two separate task lists/reports to export, combine it in one Advanced Report and then export it together (you will differentiate it later in Excel).

2. Correcting Unicode easily

.CSV file will have broken letters.

• Download simple free editor. I have used Sublime Text 3 but I have heard Notepad++ also is an option like many others I suppose.
  • Open that CSV file in that editor. You will see that all the letters are shown correctly.
  • Save it with “Save as” function. During saving, you should select UTF with BOM

That’s it. In 2 steps. Few seconds. I think it will also work with multiple files (by opening them together in the Editor and then “Bulk Save as” but have not tried).

Instruction is actually pretty simple but I am attaching video (sorry for sound). It will expire in 1 week though. WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

1 Like