Exporting at Team Level or Higher for Local Backups

As we made the decision to switch to Asana one of my first tasks is to figure out how to make a backup of our data. Unfortunately this is not easy even with a premium subscription to do for even a small team.

Unless you are on an Enterprise plan the only option is to export is on a per project level, at least from what I understand.

We expect to follow many of the examples provided on the blog and help guide we will be creating projects and closing them to facilitate Scrum/Agile for our development team as well as just overall to help isolate specific goals.

We need a simple way to export either at the Team level or ideally at the Organization level without needing an Enterprise account.

Trello provides this for their Business Class customers via a ZIP file of the entire organization. It is queued and for our team it is usually available in a few minutes. I can download that and store it locally on my Google Drive folder which is then backed up.

We are putting our entire business in the cloud on Asana, and while I trust their dev ops is good… I need that extra piece of mind that I can at least have a personal copy of our data.

1 Like

@briankb Yes, we currently offer per project export to JSON or CSV (Privacy and security settings in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide). Glad to hear you’re finding the content on the Blog and the Guide helpful! I have a few colleagues who will be delighted when I tell them.

Did you know that administrators of premium Organizations can also request a full export of their Organization (Privacy and security settings in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide)?

We are considering other options, but we do not yet have any timelines to share. You can let us know what you’d like to see for Export by answering the Asana Export Survey: Asana Export Survey

​Let us know if you have any other thoughts or questions.

3 Likes

Thanks. I completed the survey. Hopefully others reading this post and your reply will do so as well and the exporting of our (customer) data will be more accessible soon.

I looked at my Organizing Settings - Administration tab and the “Select Request Full Export of Organization” button to request an export is not available to me as a Premium subscriber.

Thanks for completing the survey! That’ll be helpful for us.

Regarding your question, at this time the feature is available for Enterprise users. And for clarity only the administrators of Premium orgs are able to request a full export, rather than the administrators of Premium teams. We’re definitely making note of your feedback and your expressed need for more functionality on this front.

1 Like

earlier you said

Did you know that administrators of premium Organizations can also request a full export of their Organization (https://asana.com/guide/help/faq/security#gl-full-org-export1)?

I am owner of a Premium Organization and that option to export is not available.

Regarding your question, at this time the feature is available for Enterprise users. And for clarity only the administrators of Premium orgs are able to request a full export, rather than the administrators of Premium teams. We’re definitely making note of your feedback and your expressed need for more functionality on this front.

So is it available to Premium Organizations (like we are), as you stated earlier, or only Enterprise users?

@briankb My apologies for the confusion - I was mistakenly under the impression that you belonged to a premium team. At this time the feature is available to Enterprise users.

1 Like

agreed 1.000%. This is a major issue for my organization and something that can jeoperdize our long term commitment to Asana.

2 Likes

Hi Brian and Murilo!

I wanted to relay a relatively recent update to the terms of our enterprise plan that might be of interest to you both.

When we first introduced premium enterprise plans, this option was dedicated for larger Organizations of 50 members, who in turn gain access to 2-factor authorization, customer success assistance and full organization exports.

Feedback on our enterprise plans have been exceedingly positive with many small businesses asking for the ability to access select enterprise options as well.

I’m happy to say we are now offering enterprise plans for smaller teams that wish to take advantage of enterprise options, namely full org exports & 2-factor authorization.

Simply write in to Asana support & ask for a quote to see if this option would be right for your Teams.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Any updates on a timeline for exporting team or full org. backups on the Premium (not Enterprise) plan?

Thanks @Michael_A I’ll check that out. cheers

Exporting all projects at an organisation level, or at least at a team level, really should be a basic feature, and not one limited only to enterprise plans. Being able to back up your data is vital, and the three hour service outage yesterday highlighted this fact

What? We can’t back up our data? You’re kidding me!

Any responsible organisation has to have a disaster recovery plan across all of its systems. Are we seriously saying that this is not possible on Asana without being on the Enterprise plan???

Hi Andrew, I understand your concern. My team is actually looking into building a simple & secure backup app for Asana.

My company has built such a backup solution for Podio.com:

• It syncs their data automatically once per day to readable Google Sheets.
  • It also sync meta data such as comments & files to a secured Google Drive folder.

This transparent approach has received lots of praise from the Podio community and we’re keen to do the same for Asana.

Using a cloud platform like Asana to manage your business-critical information can be scary. We provide our clients peace of mind by offering:

• Extra level of disaster recovery
  • Extra restoration capabilities (>30 days)
  • Business continuity during service outages

Curious to hear your thoughts on this?