Ideas/Feedback to display subtasks

Agree, this would be so helpful form a project management point of view. Is this something you’re currently working on?

Task
Subtask 1
Subtask 2
Subtask 3
Subtask 1
Subtask 1
Subtask 2
Subtask 3

2 Likes

I think this feature is quite important and very useful for adding muti-tasking, I always use it on Smartsheet Free and Paid Version, but I found your tool is quite easier to use and want to see this feature on yours as well.

1 Like

I am in support of this subtask view as well. I find it very confusing how subtasks are currently displayed identically to normal tasks. The need an indentation.

While we’re on the subject, when I create a subtask for a task that is in a project, that subtask should inherit that project. Why do I have to reassign a project to a subtask of a task that is in a project. It makes no sense. Please fix!!!

4 Likes

In addition to this it would be great if the speech bubble was highlighted once there are comments / actions within the subtask.

1 Like

I’ve just come back to have another look at Asana (for the 2nd or 3rd time - now using Harvest so it feels like a good option). Set up a test project and some tasks and subtasks - then came across this issue.

Have to say its a big one for me - seems crazy this hasn’t been addressed given all the constructive and sensible feedback that’s been provided.

Feeling pretty disappointed right now - I thought I was finally about to embrace and start using Asana…

3 Likes

This is a huge problem for my organisation - we have hundreds of tasks listed as ‘No Project’

It’s impossible to sort the tasks according to Projects turning our project planning into a nightmare.

All tasks need to inherit the main project, task or subtask heading - otherwise the whole system is very poor.

Is there any news on how this is being rectified?

13 Likes

After researching this forum, it has become clear that other folks struggle to quickly review sub-tasks from the parent view. Below are two examples…

1. Feature Request: Collapsible Sub-tasks
  2. Collapse/Summary feature for sections

I believe that more people would utilize sub-tasks if they were easier to access from the parent task. My suggestion would be to replicate the side-car behavior from the Projects and My Tasks views.

For example, when you click on a task under My Tasks, the side-car slides into view from the right side, allowing the user to quickly review. At this point, you are able to Tab+X to enter “full screen” view. Why not allow the sub-task to slide into the side-car when the parent task is in full-screen view?

8 Likes

Hi @Matt_Watkins and thank you so much for your feedback, I think that’s a brilliant idea! Merging it with Ideas/Feedback to display subtasks to consolidate feedback around this topic!

4 Likes

@Marie Can you please tell me what the status of subtasks are. Is modifying subtasks display and functionality in the works or just not possible? Please advise.

Thanks!
Colleen

Thanks for reaching out @Colleen. I don’t have a precise update to share at the moment, but we’re aware this is a popular request, and this is definitely on our radar. I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have more update to share!

My team and I also struggle to see subtasks when they are used. Having to click into a task to even tell whether subtasks exist is tedious and counter-productive. Currently the only way I remember subtasks is when I get an email reminder that they are coming due. Otherwise, I don’t remember they exist (and I’m the one that created the subtasks.)

I wholeheartedly agree with @Mike_Hoefer’s UI rendering to allow subtasks to “collapse” under parent tasks and show up in the main screen.

This is the second most popular idea and many users have posted solutions over the last year and a half. It would be great to see this implemented sometime soon.

3 Likes

FYI I have an implementation of outlining in the works that will display subtasks (all levels) - see the Desksana web page for more info.

2 Likes

@Caitlin_Warren this whole thread I think is what we are looking for to better utilize subtasks. Give it a vote and let’s see if we can’t get this pushed through. I love the idea of indented subtask and not being able to mark a parent task complete until all subtasks are marked.

1 Like

Mike this is exactly what I was thinking!
Asana legends, please make this happen! :smiley:

1 Like

When a task has subtasks it’d be very helpful for some sort of notification (a dot, start, arrow etc.) that you can tell there are subtasks on a task when looking in the List View when you haven’t clicked on in for the detailed view. Is this something Asana is working on creating? Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @Mara_Oatman

There’s an existing thread here with a lot of votes, if you want to add yours:

@Marie, you want to merge these?

1 Like

This has been the perfect work-around. I can understand why subtasks aren’t automatically added to a project. With that said, if they were auto added, couldn’t there be a filter to unshow/show subtasks?

I would like the sub-task to inherit the project from the task, automatically instead of doing this task manually for each subtask. I’d appreciate the help!

Long requested item. Asana and @Marie are very familiar with this request. I think there are mixed feelings when adding the project whether the sub-task should then show up in the center pane like I believe it does now. Any thoughts? I prefer that they stay out of the center pane unless requested but still have project in the hierarchical structure.

1 Like