Filter out completed tasks in sub-task view

Hey Asana! One of our uses is tracking meeting notes and agendas for our personal meetings. For example, we’ve each got a project for “Standing Meetings”, with a task for each person or recurring meeting we have. In the subtasks, we track agenda items and meeting notes. It’s working FABULOUSLY. However, after a few weeks of use, we are running into a loooooong problem. We can’t filter the view of subtasks to show only the incomplete tasks! I’ve got my one-on-one with my direct boss in there, and it’s a very long and visually cluttered list. Can we add in the same sort of view sort we have at the main task level?

1 Like

Great idea. @Laura_Johnson

I’m having the same issue. Extended sub-task list which means I can’t easily view any outstanding sub-tasks or the comments on the master task…

Ability to filter, a toggle or tab in this section so that we can easily

• show all
  • show incomplete only; or
  • show complete only

Would be very handy… to avoid endless scrolling and potentially missing things.

4 Likes

We are having the exact same issues - would be great to be able to filter out completed vs incomplete sub-tasks.

I agree, this needs to be an added feature.

Add this feature! This is a huge limitation & constrains our ability to fully use the product.

for now, you can open browser console and run this code to hide all completed tasks:

document.querySelectorAll(‘.SubtaskTaskRow–completed’).forEach(function(item){item.style.display=‘none’})

refresh to show them again

I am unfamiliar with browser console. How do I run this code? I have opened the console, but where do we paste and run this code? I tried ctrl+shift+P, but get an error message.

Thanks.

Can i filter out completed tasks in sub-task view now? seems i cannot do this.

Please add this! We would also benefit from filtering for all, incomplete, or complete subtasks

Do you know if Asana are doing anything about filtering completed subtasks during the last two years since this was raised. I just noticed that I can’t filter out completed sub tasks.

Not that I’m aware of - but we switched from Task/Subtask to Section/Task to help mitigate this problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ran into the same issue today! Please add this feature, Asana! Would really love the ability to filter out subtasks! I have a bunch of subtasks that are set to recur monthly. I can’t make them tasks or else by list view would be unwieldy. I know I can delete the subtasks for now but it would be super helpful to be able to filter them instead!

2 Likes

+1 for this feature - surprised it hasn’t been implemented yet

Has this still not been made?? :frowning:

Hi, I have 6,118 completed subtasks under a task and it takes awhile to scroll through them to find the incompleted ones. Do you have an idea for how to find my incompleted sub-tasks faster?

Agree; in a smilar PM tool, if the subtask/child task is not complete, the parent task does appear visibily. I’d suggest for the product:

If project filter = Incomplete;
Display ALL Incomplete TASKS and incomplete sub-tasks housed under these incomplete tasks.
If TASK is complete: Show the TASK as greyed out/marked complete AND show any INCOMPLETE Sub-tasks that are under that task. Do not show COMPLETE sub-tasks.

Currently, the work around is to add the “project” to the sub-task. Above UI make it unnecessary to do this workaround, saving time & making sure no incomplete sub-tasks are missed.

I’ve run into the very same problem. I’ve been getting around it by assigning them as single tasks with the same tag, but you can’t add tags when you first create the task, so I create the task, wait for it to sync, look up the task again and add the tag(s) needed. So that’s an option while we’re waiting for this to get noticed and implemented. =_=

Would also like to be able to sort subtasks without dragging them around manually.

Until/if this feature is offered in the task detail pane, don’t forget that it is supported in the tasks list (main) pane in List view (provided Sort is none and no Filter is applied):

One completed, one incomplete subtask both show when view is “All tasks”:

But only the incomplete subasks show when view is “Incomplete tasks”:

Larry

Note that the above solution does not work if you have a filter applied, as you can’t use a drop down view for tasks when you have a filter or sort applied to the project. This includes sorting by date. You can vote for that to be fixed here - Display subtasks on List view when project is filtered/sorted