Google sheet & Asana reporting

I need to have all tasks for a project in Asana included in a Google sheet, is there a way to do so?

The Dashboard reporting only shows the count of tasks, but I need the task name as well, date due and a progress percentage.

Thanks,
Jamie

6 Likes

Hi @Jamie_Li

At this point, thereā€™s no way of doing that through the Google Sheets report. Thatā€™s based on the dashboard, which is why itā€™s strictly high-level. If you want more detail, there are 2 options Iā€™d recommend:

If you have a premium account, you can export project data to csv via advanced search. Go to advanced search and type all of the relevant projects into the ā€˜In Projectsā€™ box.

Click Search, save the results as a report, then export to csv. Youā€™ll get a spreadsheet that contains task id, title, assignee, completion date, etc. You can work with that in Excel, or upload to Google Sheets if you need it there. I use this method, in combination with some of the high-level data from the dashboard report, to build a large, detailed report each month. Now that the advanced search is set up, it takes me hardly any time to put it all together. The obvious disadvantage is that the data is only reflective of the moment I manually export it. Itā€™s not live.

The second option is to use Bridge24. This is very similar to the dashboard report, in the sense that the data regularly updates, but with a much more detailed breakdown at the task level. You can export to csv for free for up to 50 rows, and then you need a paid subscription. If youā€™re working with a large number of different projects on a regular basis, though, it might be worth it.

Itā€™s worth messing around and testing both of these methods to see which gives you the most valuable data. Good luck with it.

4 Likes

Thanks Mark, yes, we have premium account, I will try the advanced search first.

Cheers,
Jamie

1 Like

Bridge24 has eliminated their free-forever plan in favor of a 7-day free trial.

Iā€™m still looking for a great solution here. Iā€™ve tried Automate.io and Zapier, but they are overly complex and fussy for my needs. Iā€™d love to be able to work in Asana per usual, but then have my export automatically feed into a Google Sheet, where others could check status.

2 Likes

@Scott_Murray and @Jamie_Li, if you are not already familiar Asana2Go can provide some help, but not all youā€™re asking, because it can generate any CSV you need and itā€™s free to most users/companies. See the intro video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXgh8i8Dv0 which demonstrates quick CSV creation and usage, and more articles/videos at:

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Thanks, Larry! If I read this right, Asana2Go helps with the export side of my equation, but not uploading/syncing into Google Sheets.

Over the weekend, I got Zapier working for my needs (though not with the free plan). Still looking for better solutions! I understand Asanaā€™s business model encourages everyone to be a (paid) user, but Iā€™m happy to see that you (and others) are addressing the need to communicate data outside the Asana platform.

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s correct, @Scott_Murray. And thanks for the nice words.

Hey Scott!
I kind of had a similar problem last week while working on filling my task sheet using Asana. Automate.io did the job for me. It offered me more than Zapier did for less.

What is the integration youā€™re trying to create though? Let me know.

Thanks! Iā€™m using Zapier for now. Whenever I update a task in Asana, that calls Zapier, which takes the data and ā€œpublishesā€ updates from that task to a Google Sheet.

For what itā€™s worth: Zapier considers this trigger ā€œinstantā€ because Asana makes the call on every change to the task. This resulted in many extra Zapier ā€œtasksā€, which quickly burned through my quota for the month. As a workaround, I added a new custom field on the Asana side, something like ā€œPublish changes [yes/no]ā€. On the Zapier side, I added filter logic, so the tasks are only executed when ā€œpublish changesā€ is set to ā€œyesā€. So in Asana, I leave this set to ā€œnoā€ until something is ready to be pushed out to the Google Sheet, and I set it to yes. Thatā€™s cut my task usage down to ~20% of what it was.

1 Like

Thatā€™s smart! Iā€™ll check it out and let you know. Iā€™ve used Zapier earlier. Even though I liked using it, it only offered 100 tasks per month for me. I didnā€™t want to get a paid plan yet as my priority was to cut costs since I just started my business. I tried tray.io too although I found it to be a bit complicated to use. Then, I looked around and came across Automate.io and learned that it offers 250 tasks per month which was perfect for me!

Iā€™m happy with the free plan for now. I barely run out of tasks.

If youā€™re looking for automatic syncing of tasks from an Asana project into a Google Sheet, Velocity has a feature called Data Links that makes this fairly straightforward:

You could:

1. Create a Data Link (youā€™ll choose which task columns you want, and you can filter by a specific project)
  2. The Data Link will generate a CSV URL, which will always have up-to-date task data. You can sync that CSV automatically into a Google Sheet using IMPORTDATA, which will refresh the data in the sheet automatically

(Disclosure: Iā€™m a cofounder of Velocity.)

2 Likes

Tom, this is exactly the solution Iā€™ve been looking for. Velocity simply pulls the task data I need into Google Sheet reports, and saves me from having to either manually import CSV files or have a loose Zapier action adding and updating tasks as line items. Manually importing CSVs meant my team had to wait on me to see their progress. The Zapier connection was resulting in messy information with either redundant line items or values not completely updating. Thank you!

@Jon_Sasala Great! If you have any questions as you use Velocityā€™s Data Links, please donā€™t hesitate to reach out to our support team.

1 Like

Thanks for this! I had the same issue, tested the apps and went with Velocity. There are some things to work through (sorting google sheets creates lots of blank lines before the actual data for instance) but the functionality, pricing structure, data modeling, etc was the best for me.

I suppose you can create reports using our Skyvia Query Google Sheets add-on (https://skyvia.com/google-sheets-addon/asana).
Three simple steps are enough:

• Register on Skyvia for free
  • Create an Asana connection in the Skyvia account
  • Get Skyvia add-on in google sheet: Add-ons > Skyvia Query
    Thatā€™s it. Now you can export Asana tasks including all necessary information. Moreover, you can get a free trial for 2 weeks without query limits.
    Skyvia is Asanaā€™s partner, though. You can find them on the Asana marketplace.

P.S. Iā€™m a member of the Skyvia development team, so if you have any questions about the product feel free to ask me.

1 Like