Government Employees

Hi Community,

I’m an employee in state government and I’m using Asana to manage several smaller projects but am gearing up for a large, enterprise-wide I.T. project. I’m curious if there are other government employees who use Asana? I’m interested in how you handle record retention since we are often subject to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and we must produce our emails on demand. Even our chat history is subject to disclosure so we have to be very careful.

Any tips or words of advice as I scale up my utilization of Asana?

I’m in local government in Virginia. FOIA and records retention are issues for every system. Cloud services can be very helpful, but they also wind up spreading out records across many vendors and servers.

Generally speaking, the custodian who receives a records request is responsible for searching in the right places. This could be as simple as keeping a list of storage locations (e.g. email, Google Docs, Asana, the file cabinet in the basement) and then searching each one. Note that if the requestor asks for “all emails regarding X,” you may not be obligated to look in locations that aren’t email.

State and even local records laws can vary. Be sure to ask your agency’s legal counsel what your obligations are for records retention and retrieval.