Guests and Premium features

I am really just trying to find out what happens regarding premium features if I invite a client as a guest to one of my teams so that they can collaborate on the running of a project.

My understanding is that Guests can create projects within a team I invite them to but they would not be able to use the premium features I have paid for. e.g. they can create a project but cannot use custom fields or task dependencies. Is that correct?

I use custom fields for following and recording some aspects of regular tasks so I can see them easily on the main view. For example, I might want them to choose a particular category from a dropdown menu, or choose a level of priority etc. So, would they be able to see these and use them?

6 Likes

Ruth, I do not know the scope of all you are requesting but I due know that a guest on one of my teams was able to save an Advanced Search to a CSV file which is only a premium feature and they had a free edition. Would not be surprised if the guests gets the features of a paid organization even if they are free.
But don’t know for sure. One way to do a lot of that kind of testing is to set up a free account under your personal email address and see what the outcome of that might be. I have done this for exactly what you are trying to scope out.

This is a good question, @Ruth_Newnham. Guests will have access to all premium features within the context of the project(s) you give them access to, with the exception of managing custom fields.

Only members can manage custom fields, which includes adding fields to a project and editing field set up (within the manage custom fields window from the Project Actions menu- screenshot below).

Guests will be able to edit the value of the field on each task (select the option from the drop down, enter text or a number), but they won’t be able to edit the field setup as a whole.

They will be able to access the other premium features in the context of the project such as Advanced Search (as @James_Carl noted), adding dependencies to tasks, etc.

Hope this helps, but let me know if you need other clarification on this.

8 Likes

@Kaitie that is a really great answer and the kind if it is not already should be in the documentation of Asana. There are a lot of people I think that are confused by using Guest, what they can do, how they count against number of members etc. Just a good thing to know. Thanks

5 Likes

Thanks @Kaitie that makes things much clearer!

1 Like

Great idea @James_Carl - I don’t know why I didn’t think of that as I used that trick to work with scheduling appointments through acuity so they show up in my inbox!

Since the above mentions guests in team projects, I assume you can add a user as a guest for an organization?

I’m toying with the idea of using Asana for our board of directors and event committees to collaborate on. But I’m having difficulty trying to figure out exactly how that should be setup.

It seems if I set up a Workspace there are no teams and we cannot use custom fields unless we buy another premium membership.
But if I invite them to our Organization, I do not see the option to invite them as a guest (they do not use our corporate email domains).

We want them to have limited control and only see what is pertinent to them but hate the loss of custom fields. Any thoughts on which route I should go?

3 Likes

Great question, @Crystal_Alifanow.
Re inviting them as guests, anyone you invite into an Organization that doesn’t have the company email address would be added as a guest. As an organization guest, they would only have access to the objects you add them to. So for example, if you added them to a single project, they would only have access to that one project. You can see more about organization guests here.

For something like the board of directors, I would probably recommend setting up a hidden team, and adding the Board to the entire team. You can then set up the projects you want the board to have access to, and can communicate with the group in Team Conversations.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t realize there could be organization guests with non-company emails. That’s such a great option!

2 Likes

@Crystal_Alifanow Guests are designated as anyone without the email domain associated with the organization. So it’s an automatic thing - it also means you cannot invite someone with the email domain of the org and have them be anything BUT a member.

The solution will definitely work, but just wanted to clarify when people are guests vs members in organizations. Workspaces are, I think, different - but organizations are by domain!

2 Likes