Harvest & Asana

Hi,
We use Harvest integration and I have a suggestion for an easy but useful feature.

When you track time for an Asana subtask, there is no “parent” reference sent to Harvest in the description. I think it would be an easy but very useful development that the subtasks appears like this in the Harvest description:
Task > Subtask
Thanks!

For our team, Harvest and Asana integration is also important. We found an online data integration platform called Skyvia. It’s the most time- and cost-effective tool. That’s how we schedule automatic integration from Harvest to Asana: https://skyvia.com/data-integration/integrate-asana-harvest

P.S. I’m a member of the Skyvia development team, so if you have any questions about the product feel free to ask me.

Hi Gabe - I’m interested in learning more about the integration - although super confused why I need another platform. Why doesn’t the sync work within Asana + Harvest?

Hi Kaye!
Nowadays there is a bunch of cloud apps that increases dramatically. Thus, it’s not possible to build native integrations between them. In this case 3rd-party apps such as Skyvia come to help.
Moreover, in most cases 3rd-party integration tools give users a bigger set of features and more flexibility.

I’ve been working with Zapier support and they have told me
“This is Asana Built-in integration with Harvest and we cannot use Zapier to add information since we don’t have this built-in form”

“our best bet is probably going to be to hire an API developer or check in with a certified Zapier Expert to see if they can assist:”

Both Asana and Harvest Support told me that we need to use a product like Zapier to manage the integration.

This is what we are looking for

In Asana clicking on the Clock Icon(red circle) brings up a Harvest Dialog box in Asana

Harvest Timesheet Update to Asana Hours Burned.jpg

In this dialog box the 1st field is the Project in this example it is “Project Management Protocol” and the 3rd is the Asana Task in this case its “Need Custom Field for Hours Burned” Next the the Asana Task is the amount of time that is being reported to the Harvest Timesheet in this case 0:30. In order to track Hours Burned we need the Hours Burned field in Asana to be updated by adding the time being reported to Harvest. I don’t understand why this is so hard. Seems like functionality would be a common need.

app.asana.com_0_inbox_1201603398340758.png

I have been using the Harvest integration successfully for over a year, in both Safari and Firebox, iMac and MacBook Pro. Suddenly it’s not working. When I hit the Harvest clock on a task I get a pop-up window telling me I just sign in to Harvest. But I am already signed in. If I hit “Sign-in” and enter my credentials, it then gives me a different pop-up that lists our domain name. I click on the domain name, and the original pop-up window appears again. I’m attaching screen shots of the pop-ups. Hoping another user, or Asana can help me overcome this issue. Thanks, Chris Harris

@Chris_Harris2 have you found a resolution to this issue? We’ve just discovered we’re having the same thing happen at my organization.

Yes! I got a response from CS at Harvest. I made this change on Firefox, and all is working again. I also use Safari sometimes, it had also stopped working…I still need to dig in a bit with the settings there to see if I can resolve. Here’s the info from Harvest:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the trouble!

Firefox’s Enhanced Tracking Protection can cause a sign-in loop, unfortunately.

There are a few options to resolve this:

1. Disable the Enhanced Tracking Protection for Asana:
  • In the address bar of the site where you’re using the integration, click the Shield icon.
  • In the menu, disable the Enhanced Tracking Protection toggle to turn it off for the URL.
  1. Manage exceptions for Enhanced Tracking Protection:
  • In Firefox, head to Preferences.
  • Select Privacy & Security from the left menu.
  • Under Enhanced Tracking Protection, click Manage Exceptions…
  • In the Address of website field, add harvestapp.com and click Add exception. Then, add asana.comand click Add exception.
  • Then, click Save changes.
  1. Change general protection settings:
  • In Firefox, head to Preferences.
  • Select Privacy & Security from the left menu.
  • Under Enhanced Tracking Protection, set the protection to Custom with only “Cross-site tracking cookies” chosen in the cookies selection box.

Any of these should resolve the issue. Just make one of the changes and refresh Asana, and it should allow you to sign in to make the change.

If you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch.

Best,
Maddie

Great - thank you for sharing!