Help needed! - Email to project conversation

projects

Hi,
as part of our agency activities we send draft releases out for approval.

When a release is approved, for audit trail purposes, we want to send the approval email to the relevant conversation on the relevant project.

One thing that keeps happening is that that when I scroll to the bottom of the conversation pane in the chosen project, I briefly see the little boxout with a link to the conversation email address, but it just vanishes after a split second.

I’ve tried emailing to @mail.asana.com, but this failed on my last attempt because the project name has reserve characters in (RFC 5322) . Thus forwarding the approval to a project entitled “PBR 2374 - Internation Tiddlywinks Day Raises £6k for charities @ Frankfurt Messe” - simply fails because of all the spaces, dollar and pound signs and @ symbols.

I’ve tried using the project number but that comes back with “I couldn’t create your Asana task because I didn’t recognize the address you sent the email to: 457441446356130@mail.asana.com

So in short -
how do I stop the email to conversation link at the foot of the conversation pane from disappearing?
how do I create an email address ‘manually’ to send email to any given project?

Like the best problems, elucidating helps to solve them.

I created a project with all the reserve characters I could think of in the name and then checked the blank conversation pane for the boxout - that showed me how to format email addresses to specific projects , namely “project+projectid@mail.asana.com

I’m glad you solved that one. I was scratching my head a bit trying to figure it out!

@David_Ruder Even though you have this solved I thought I would post an extract out of my user’s manual for www.sendana.net. We had to do some heavy programming to eliminate this problem.
Special Characters In Team and Project Name Sendana utilizes the Asana email system to create its actions. While projects have there own I.D. for creating tasks, Asana uses a basic emal syntax for Team and Project Conversations as follows:

Team Conversation oa-outlook-add-in@mail.asana.com You will see that the email syntax is Team name @mail.asana.com. In addition Asana does not recognize spaces or special characters but converts them to -. The actual name of this Team is OA| Outlook Add-in. Sendana, strips special characters and puts the dashes in so that the creation is seamless with Asana.

Project Conversations oa-program-development@mail.asana.com You will see that the email syntax is project name @mail.asana.com. In addition Asana does not recognize spaces or special characters but converts them to -. The actual name of this project is OA| Project Development. Sendana, strips special characters and puts the dashes in so that the creation is seamless with Asana.

Special Character Set
This is a direct support reply from Asana
This is a list of special characters not recognized by our system:

! " # $ % & ’ ( ) * + , - . : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ ` { | } ~

If you create a project called “Test with ! " # $ % & ’ ( ) * + , - . : ; <
= > ? @ [ \ ] ^ ` { | } ~ special characters” you will see that the email
address will be "test-with-special-characters@mail.asana.com." All these
characters are rejected by our system.

Duplicate Team or Project Names Warning!! Because of the email address syntax that Asana uses for creating the Team Conversation or Project Conversation combined with the non-recognition of special characters it is possible that you will have duplicate Team and Project Conversation email addresses throughout an Organization and between organizations. If Asana identifies this you will receive a rejection email from Asana. It is good to use pre-fixes to remedy this if you plan on using Team and Project Conversations. Throughout this document, I have used the prefix OA to stand for Outlook Add-in.

Thanks James, I figured that there had to be a way that asana set the inbound email gateway address without reserve characters.

Forwarding emails to project conversations (or tasks) tends to be a bit of a kludge, thanks to our long, descriptive project names. Emails to teams are easier because we have simple Three Letter Identifiers for each team.

Part of the challenge is working out what Asana functionality is best for making our work management glide, sometimes kludges need to be dropped, other times they are essential to our project audit trail.

Cheers,
David