Help! Permanently deleted a task! Can I restore?

omg i was trying to delete a subtask and accidentally got click happy and deleted a huge main task permanently. Yes, permanently. It is not in the “deleted items” sidebar window. Man!! It’s an important active task too… is there any way to restore a permanently deleted task?! So stressed! Thanks for any tips

1 Like

Sorry about that @Erin_Galey but there is no way to restore a permanent deleted task.

Look at your emails. Maybe there is a notification from a previous activity on the task. You will able to extract description and task stories.

Finger crossed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Erin_Galey. We can understand your stress! Have you tried an advanced search for deleted tasks? There’s a good chance this will solve the problem.

If that doesn’t work for you, then I suggest you reach out to the support team and they may be able to work some magic on the back end. You can reach them at Asana Support - Help Center • Asana

9 Likes

Hi Alexis

Yes I have tried this. No dice. It did not solve the problem.

Thanks tho, I did reach out to the support team.

Best
Erin

2 Likes

Good luck! Feel free to reach out to us here in the Community if you have any other questions.

You probably need help from Asana tech. However, if your task name is not easily identified, you will need the task ID. If you have previously printed the task, the task id (along with the project id) should be printed on the bottom of the page. Otherwise, if your project doesn’t contain too many tasks, you could possibly find out the existing task ids and perhaps by deduction, Asana tech might be able to identify what is currently missing. Good luck!

So what I ended up doing (guilty of doing the same thing)…I used to get notifications for tasks via email. I found that email notification, clicked on the task and was presented with the option to “Undelete.”

Unfortunately, you probably would’ve had to have the notification set up. That’s the best I could do!

2 Likes

I’m late, but There is a solution:

Asana keep deleted tasks for 30 days.
You can find it on upper left on asana menu, show more…
Best!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this answer - you saved me so much work !!!

1 Like

Thank you soooo much for this!!!

HI folks!

Another option would be to get in touch with Asana support via Asana Support - Help Center • Asana and a member of our User Operations team would be happy to assist in the recover of your Task, Project or Team :slight_smile:

Just confirming: contact support, they could very quickly recover a permanently deleted task (and all subtasks) for me, great service Asana!

Hi. I can’t see how to get in touch with the support team from this page Aide Asana - centre d’assistance • Asana
Did you change the process to contact an agent?

1 Like

@Vanessa_Dreifuss, Click “J’ai des problèmes avec” then on the next page scroll down and click “Nous contacter” and fill in the form.

Hope that works for you,

Larry

1 Like

Hi there , I have a concern. Let’s imagine I assigned a task to my subordinate a task and he deleted it permenantly… How we can get it back ? the reason he deleted it permenantly is that he don’t want to do that…
And since he deleted it , we even do not have any proof to show him that I already assigned him that task… strange. I don’t understand. I need help about it , tnx a lot…

regards
firat - firat@opalcelik.com
+90 507 790 80 02

Yes, most of us have exactly the same concern.

1 Like

Hi, this happened to someone on my team today, and she lost 1/2 day of note taking. She’s going to reach out to support for help.

As a piece of user experience feedback, I’ve seen people do this accidentally on screen shares dozens of times. When people delete a task, the “Delete Permanently” button appears in bright red. It becomes the most enticing element on the screen to click. I would suggest reducing its visual impact, perhaps keeping it red but outlined on a white background or otherwise minimized. It seems like the kind of action that warrants someone making a little extra effort to find.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Our team has built a solution for this :slight_smile:

We’ve made a new backup app that allows you to easily recover tasks that were permanently deleted in Asana. More info here: https://asana.com/apps/probackup