How can I create a master Timeline

Hi @Donat_Lanszki; Michael from Asana here.

I’m merging this question into a more appropriate thread to help keep out Community organized. That said, at the moment we do not have the ability to view all Tasks/Project deadlines in one place. The exception to this is your “My Tasks” list where all Tasks assigned to you will be shown.

We do have one workaround that isn’t perfect, but would allow you to view the Tasks of more than one Project into a a single space you can then view in Timeline mode.

I recommend creating a new master Project that will be home to all your Tasks from the Projects you wish to view in one place. Next multi-select (Task actions: create, move, duplicate, and more | Product guide • Asana Product Guide) the Tasks from the Projects you wish to view in one space, and multi-home(How to Complete Task Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide) them into this single Project. Multi-homing these Tasks will add them to be viewed in your new Project. Once you click the timeline tab(Timeline View in Asana | Product Help Center • Asana Product Guide), this will enable you to view all the Tasks, with due dates, to appear in one place.

It’s not perfect nor automatic, though should you need to see how the moving pieces of more than one Project in one space. Additionally the trouble with loading a single Project with so many Tasks is that it will significantly slow down the system and cause the system to lag. That said, this workaround could be quite useful for viewing the contents of 5 projects (or so) in one place should you need that kind of top down clarity.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi There,

Is it possible to see an overall view of all your projects in one Time Line view (this was actually the reason for us to go pro)

Thanks

Joris

Hi @Joris_Woonmodule,

Glad to hear you’re interested in Timeline! At this time it is not possible to view timeline across multiple projects, however we’re prioritizing updates to Timeline in the coming months, so hold tight for what may be coming up. In the meantime, a workaround that I recommend is to multihome tasks from several projects into one “master” project. Then, you can view all tasks using the timeline feature in that master project.

Best,
Alexis

Is there a way to export/show the timelines of different projects in the same view? We have a lot of projects running concurrently to each other and it would be great to be able to see how their timelines look next to each other so we know we’re not overpromising and our deadlines and timelines are realistic with our given staff. Is there a way to do this??

Hi Jennifer, I am looking forward for such feature myself. I believe the only way to do this is through Instagantt app at the moment. You can bring in multiple projects, create groups, and lay them out in a “timeline” view.

1 Like

Hey @Allan_Zuniga & @jennifer.hopkins

:scissors:I’m going to merge this post with another, where this questions was asked and answered :scissors:

I recommend taking a look above! :point_up:

It was be great if we could see a high level timeline of all projects within a team.

Hi @Michael_Alhilly and welcome to the community forum! No worries, here How can I create a master Timeline! I have gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread, hope it’s ok! Let us know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hi @Marie! Thanks. Knew others would be looking for this. I’m waiting for the real thing to be implemented. No workarounds for me.

Any news on this feature?

From what I read (and found so far) this thread also regards my case: I want to visualize the progress of a (very) large project. I do have it aggregated in one project but am unsatisfied by the available timeline feature:
-zoom factor cannot become small enough to show the whole project curation
-I cannot filter projects to determine the level of detail the overview gives

Hi @Steve_Valiquette and All,

I’ve been using the following solution (short term), as a way to view exactly what you are talking about while touching on various bits of feedback within this thread as well. :relaxed:

What I have done is to create a Milestone or Completion Gate at the end of each unique Project Section. I then linked this completion task to the preceding tasks as dependencies.

Completion Gate Example:

Timeline view with dependancies viewable/linked:

I then create a New Project, which I call Project Health, and pull in only the Milestone Gate Tasks from each project I want to see data from (placed within custom sections). You can then switch that Project from Task to Timeline view, and bam, you have a good high-level status update on Projects based on Phase/Sections. Keep in mind, when you do this, and want to share it with others, make sure you set the default view to what you would like others to see (all tasks, incomplete, custom fields, etc).

Saving default Project Health View reminder:

I do realize my way is a bit of a workaround, but it’s working well for me at the moment. :sunglasses:

Please Note:

• In my example, the dependencies option is a Premium account feature.
  • You could do the same via the Free version manually, without dependencies linked. Simply mark each Milestone Completion Gate as ‘Complete’, when that phase was completed by your team.

Hope this helps. :+1:t2:

Regards,

Tyler

Hi! As this thread is almost 2 years old – is there now a way to view all projects in one master timeline without having to create new boards?

3 Likes

The search view is being improved on a regular basis, so maybe one day there will be a timeline on it!

1 Like

Seconded. On meeting with my team today (having just upgraded, in fact, SOLELY for Timelines), we were in disbelief that Timelines doesn’t show everything in one view.

Considering cancelling the upgrade now, unfortunately. This should be prioritized.

2 Likes

This really is a KEY FEATURE that is needed. In order to really be efficient, we need to see a master timeline sowe can make sure we are on track with everything, otherwise things just get lost.

3 Likes

This is almost a deal-breaker for us. The whole point of the timelines for us would be to see the final due dates of Projects, not Tasks.

2 Likes

Timeline view in portfolios kinda give you this.

I agree Timeline view in portfolios helps with seeing your overall projects, but we really need to be able to see tasks in the timeline within those projects. We are running several productions at once and want to be able to see several projects on one timeline (gantt) table.

2 Likes

Bumping this up again, unbelievable that 2 years have passed since this topic started and it’s not a feature yet - creating tasks for “project duration” within a project and then multihome them to a team or company timeline is a mess. Any news here??

3 Likes

It’s funny, isn’t it. Asana seems so powerful, and then all of a sudden you hit a block like this where you just think “what were they thinking not making that possible”. Surely the power of a gantt chart (which is effectively what Timeline is) is that it can roll up and have interdependencies. Projects seem to completely sandbox the actual tasks and not expose them to the portfolio, losing the ability to have these interdependencies. Even within a single team, it’s only possible to see the calendar, not the timeline.

The amount of similar thread in Asana I’ve come across now where the top of the thread raises an obvious point; then Asana respond with some rubbish work around; then you realise it was two years old so scroll to the bottom of the thread and realise they STILL haven’t done anything with it.

I am now remembering why I have moved away from Asana in the past.

3 Likes