How Do Each of You Store Files In Asana

Asana of course has a number of file storage options. I am curious what services you may use ie dropbox, box etc and how you organize.

I have done different things at different times but still thinking through the best way to create and store files. Some of the things I have done:

1. Create a separate project called “Permanent Documents”-Team Name
  2. Created a separate Section withing a project called Permanent Documents and then put a task in for the type of document, some that are recurring.

As for creation I have tried all of the following:

1. Computer Upload
  2. Dropbox
  3. Box
  4. URL Links to Evernote

One of the ways I am keeping files like monthly reports is to email the file to Asana either by x@mail.asana.com, specific project address or my Sendana and then dragging the new task as a subtask under a task. It is then either kept or the previous subtask it is replacing is deleted. This seems to be working pretty good. An example might be “Monthly X Report”.

Just wanted to know what others might be doing.

Thanks

How to show all files in the "Files" section in list view

I think the Dropbox integration works the best. Unless things have changed recently, the Box integration did not allow a way to search when trying to attach files. This was a major negative for me.

I prefer to keep files in a file storage service overall and just attach to relevant tasks when it needs review or you want to make it easy for assignee to find what they need.

I keep files in Google Drive and Dropbox. Generally I use Google Drive when I am creating a document to edit overtime and share, whereas I use Dropbox when I need to save an image, pdf, or something along those lines. When a file is relevant to a task, I’ll attach it. Otherwise, my files stay in Drive or Dropbox.

Glad to see this topic here! The template documents are stored in a separate task called template documents under each section within my own workload project. Similar to what James mentioned (option 2). My question is: how does everyone manage documents and files uploaded to a project. The file tab is certainly very basic and I believe can be enhanced to allow more visibility and quick searched within projects. Any thoughts?

I don’t have too much additional to add that I have not expressed before that Asana need to improve its File options for sorting, adding folders etc. I would say that lately I have been using subtasks withing a task such a Financial Statements to hold some attachments. I email from a number of sources that allow emailing (All Microsoft Office), Quickbooks and many other packages, put a more descriptive name in the Subject Area and send to project address. Then I move to subtask. Of course I have the benefit of my app Sendana. sendana.net that helps facilitate this.

I just posted a reply to the similar thread over here:

A bit OT, but I’d also like to be able to quickly link to an Evernote (existing or create new). My current workaround is to paste a evernote note link in an Asana task typically in the description area and then I have Tampermonkey script that inserts an Evernote icon at the left top of the description field to help me know I have an external link. Clicking on that icon opens the note in a new tab. I’d like to see a more streamlined way to link a Evernote.

Richard would you be able to post more on how your work around works with an example. We use a document management database called ferret software in house to store all project communications and that is not going to change. I use Asana with Bridge 24 to try and manage my guys work follow across multiple projects. what I would like to be able to do is have a bUtton to launch ferret like you have for Ever note and then have a link to the project record within ferret in the description field.

Regards

Justin

Sorry just saw this.

I’m no TamperMonkey expert but here’s what I do (lame I know). I basically paste an evernote link and preface it with “EN Reference:”. I only do this in the description field. I have some script below that runs periodically and looks for this and will position an icon just above the description field if the “EN Reference:” tag is found.

Yes, there has to be a better way :slight_smile:
-Rich

---------------8<--------------------------------------------
function AddEnContent(myLink)
{
var obj = document.getElementById(‘property_sheet:details_property_sheet_field:description’);
if (obj)
{
// If icon exists remove it
var ENobj = document.getElementById(‘myENImage’);
if (ENobj)
{
ENobj.parentNode.removeChild(ENobj);
}

var img = new Image();
    img.style.height = '32px';
    img.style.width = '32px';
    img.id= 'myENImage';
    img.src = 'https://cdn4.iconfinder.com/data/icons/free-colorful-icons/360/evernote.png';
    img.onclick = function()
    {
        // Opens in the same tab
        //window.location.href = myLink;
        // Opens in a new tab
        window.open(myLink, '_blank');
    };
    obj.parentNode.insertBefore(img, obj);         
}

}

function ENicon_loop()
{
var obj = document.getElementById(‘property_sheet:details_property_sheet_field:description’);
if (obj)
{
//alert('len: ’ + obj.innerHTML.search(‘EN Reference:’));
if (obj == document.activeElement)
{
}
else {
if (obj.innerHTML != GM_getValue(‘oldHTML’))
{
GM_log(‘New HTML’);
GM_setValue(‘oldHTML’, obj.innerHTML);

if (obj.innerHTML.length > 0) 
            {
                GM_log('HTML len > 0');                        
                GM_log(obj.innerHTML.substring(0, 400));                        
                var pos = obj.innerHTML.search('EN Reference:');
                if (pos > 0) 
                {
                    GM_log('Found EN Ref');                        
                    // Get the link and add an icon     
                    var wrk_lnk = obj.innerHTML.substr(obj.innerHTML.search('https://www.evernote.com/'));
                    var lnk = obj.innerHTML.substr(obj.innerHTML.search('https://www.evernote.com/'), wrk_lnk.search('" target'));
                    lnk += ' target="_blank"';
                    GM_log('lnk: ' + lnk);                        
                    AddEnContent(lnk);
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
setTimeout(ENicon_loop, 5000);    

}

// *** Main ***

// Evernote Description Link Icon Feature
GM_setValue(‘oldHTML’, ‘’);
ENicon_loop();

I like to use links in the task description whenever possible.

I also include a link in all Project Descriptions. It usually links to a master project folder on google drive.

I use Google Drive. Though I wish I could link an entire folder instead of individual files. When I need to reference a folder in GD, then I’ll paste the link in the task description.

On a similar note: the “Files” tab in Asana would really benefit from some features such as:

1. ability to filter results based on file type, source, or title
  2. ability to group/tag files (i.e. some files are related to the design, and others are related to admin and planning)

We follow a very similar practice, often including the long-form planning doc or creative brief for a project as a Google Doc that is linked into a Resources section at the top of our projects/initiatives.

Additionally we regularly use the Dropbox functionality and love having that flexibility to share creative assets or screenshots (inspiration, QA, bugs, etc) directly into the comments of a specific task in said project.

The one thing I still can’t get over is the boiler Dropbox metadata that accompanies every link shared from that tool. @Alexis surely there has to be a way that can be disabled on the backend for your integration. Super annoying.

UPDATE: note you can even see it clearly here in the unfurled link preview. Gah!! :man_facepalming:

One more suggestion regarding files: As an alternative to the current files tab, what if we could “assign” a folder (from any 3rd party service such as G Guite or Dropbox) to that project, and then the “Files” tab in Asana will show a file navigator where we can browse all files under that one shared folder.

That would be so nice to have!!!