How to add alerts, reports, integrations, and buttons to Asana projects

Yes. Due dates that trigger notifications on my Android phone via the Asana application. Same as Todoist, RTM and Evernote do.

1 Like

Agree with that Amy. I task myself at a due date and time, and don’t get an Android notification whereas I do get Asana notifications for other types of activity.

This isn’t a new topic or concern. See: https://forum.asana.com/t/push-notifications-at-due-time/1513

The Android notifications worked on M phones before the last Asana update. Since then, notifications apparently only work on N phones per the Asana blog although from the comments not even then. It just seems like a reasonable expectation that if there’s a due date that can be set (especially from a mobile app) that the due date would trigger a notification. It’s the one seemingly simple thing that’s keeping me from embracing Asana.

2 Likes

Thanks @Laurent! Need any help getting started?

Super intrigued by this — thanks! Will comment again after I’ve had some time to kick the tires… :v:

1 Like

:sunglasses: sounds great @pbiolsi. Excited for your input!

Got it. That’s more of a Asana android app issue than something that can be added via the API. Although - you can always setup your own alerts/notifications via email instead.

Yes, but as I am drowning in email, I’m trying to keep the notifications separate. As mentioned in previous threads, the Android notifications have worked previously and I had fantastic results. I’m just trying to get them to work again, especially since notifications from a set due date/due time should be almost a default setting these days. Now if someone had the skill to create a workaround with the API, I’d be all in.

3 Likes

“Drowning in email.” Yes. All the yes.

Push notifications are so critical. Relying on email for potentially-critical questions from colleagues in the same way that I receive Old Navy promotional emails doesn’t make sense.

The only thing I use Asana for is for things that I know that I have to do or need to do or want to do ― in life. Therefore, I want these updates to stand out ― and push notifications are the way to ensure that they do stand out. The two ways I would suggest improvements to communications coming from my Asana workspaces would be to [a] improve push notifications and [b] Create a Dedicated Pane for the Inbox.

3 Likes

Outlook - to be able to drag and drop emails into Asana.
Mac - Mac computer keyboard shortcuts are different than Asana ones. Friction there for me.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

New feature! You can now setup entire add-ons for Asana using Blockspring Scripts.

The first type of add-on is the sidebar form. You choose the inputs, then what script runs when the submit button is clicked. Useful for reports, exports, and emails. Here’s what that looks like:

We’ll be adding other types of extensible UI elements (eg modals, etc) soon. Shoot me a message if you have feedback/ideas!

4 Likes

Do we have a guide on the scripts and how to write it?

1 Like

I’m relatively tech-capable from an end-user standpoint. However, my experience directly with python / creating scripts is very limited. I LOVE the potential I’m seeing in Blockspring Scripts, but you have very few script templates offered. Is there a guide for some of the top Asana use cases with these custom scripts? Or is there a way to access new script templates?

Also, your Google authentication is disabled (without an option to “Trust Developer”):

Hi @paulk
Blockspring for Asana looks amazing but seems to not be working right now. I’ve seen a few other reports of the script editor being stuck on Installing Modules, which is what I’m seeing. Looking at the browser console there are quite a few 502, 503 and CORS errors.
Is there a fix for this or is this no longer supported?
Thanks,
Matthew

1 Like

No longer supported, unfortunately. We’ve sunset this feature.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @paulk. That’s a real shame this looked amazing. Any thoughts on bringing this back to life in any shape or form in the future? I’d imagine there would be lot of demand.

Hoping Asana does this natively with their new focus on integrations! Unfortunately, we didn’t see significant demand over the year we had this live.

1 Like

Fingers crossed! In the meantime I’m trying to roll my own. Thanks again for getting back to me on this.

We’ve sunset this feature.