How to link tasks?

Once the tasks are connected, if I move the first task, I would like others to move too.
How to do ?

1 Like

Hi @Guillaume_Diez-Breto - Are you referring to task dependencies? Subtasks? Please provide some more context and we’ll be happy to help.

Hello! Not sure, if Guillame met that, but I´m also interested, if you can link spesific tasks in a way that when I move the due date of one task, the other moves proportionally as well. For example, if I know, that some task will take 1 week longer to achieve. The next task depends on that and can start only when the other finishes,. Therefore, is it possible that it will move automatically also 1 week forward without changing its duration (cause the next tasks need anyway another 1 week to accomplish for exmaple).

2 Likes

Hi @Alexis - I are not refering to task dependecies with subtasks.
In fact, @Maria_Derlos explained my question.

2 Likes

Hi @Guillaume_Diez-Breto and @Maria_Derlos! Marie here from Asana! Unfortunately, at the moment this is not possible. For example, if Task 2 is dependant on Task 1, and if Task 1 due date is postponed because of some delay, the due date for Task 2 won’t adjust automatically. This is something you will have to do manually. Having said that I completely understand your point and how useful it would be if these adjustments were made automatically. I’ll make sure to pass on your feedback to our Product Team for future improvements! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank @Marie, Will be very useful for planning.

1 Like

I’d like to chime in. When changing a due date a notification would be cool that warns the user which tasks would be delayed. One change might start off a hidden avalanche of delayed dependend tasks. A notification with a button where you can agree to these implied changes. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

But what I was originally searching for was a way to “mention” tasks aka add a task name with a link to it. Best with the link name changing when the task is changing as crossed out when the linked task is closed. Love this feature from Jira. So useful. Is this or something similar possible?

2 Likes

@Maria_Derlos @Guillaume_Diez-Breto @Marie I really need this feature as well. Was there a workaround? Curious if I can do it through Instagantt instead by selecting all and moving together?

1 Like

Agreed - this feature is a must!

1 Like

@Khalid_Sharif we’re running into this same problem and can’t figure out a workaround. Were you able to ?

1 Like

Hi @Marie - has there been any development on this since it was first brought up two years ago? If not, do you have an alternative suggestion to accomplish what’s been asked here.

Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

This is incredibly important when working on various projects linked together as well as Kanban methodology. Is there a solution or a plan to deliver this possibility?

It is possible in JIRA, for example.

2 Likes

I am a Jira product/project manager coming into Asana due to client preference, but I am missing simple functionality like linking of tickets outside of dependencies and sub-tasks. Would be awesome to have this so as to better manage project tasks and timelines.

3 Likes

yes! just some way to link tasks as being related. Closest I’ve gotten is to put them in a project together or have create a tag for the relationship, but that’s overkill for 2 or 3 tasks.

Seems like the solution is to use Jira?

3 Likes

It looks like Asana now has the Dependencies field: Creating task dependencies | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Although I’d like to have a plain “connected task”, instead of blocker/blocked. But it’s enough for now.

3 Likes