Importing from CSV integration

Having had created a free CSV to Asana Report using CSV file I have a little experience with Asana’s output CSV but none with input. CSV To Asana Simple List Generator- My Gift To Community

So here are some observations.

So if you examine the hierarchy of Asana which of course could be set up in an Excel Spreadsheet and saved as a CSV file, below Organization you have

Team
Project & Project Description
Section
Task & Task Descripton
Subtask & Subtask Description

I would guess that you import at the Project level. In addition to hierarchical format of Asana you have other opportunities and issues.

Adding the description to Tasks and Subtasks
Creating Project Sections
Adding Tasks to proper Section
Creating a project for subtasks even though Asana does not by default
Creating Assignee for both Tasks and Subtasks but they are not mandatory
Creating Due Dates for Tasks and Subtasks but they are not mandatory
Creating Collaborators for Tasks and Subtasks but they are not mandatory
If you venture into Subtasks you have to have a Parent Task for them to attach to.
Task creation does not require subtask creation
I have attempted to build an Excel Spreadsheet that would give you enough information and a couple iterations of possibilities. It had to be a PDF to upload so it is small. You can download and enlarge. CSV Import.pdf (48.3 KB)

I did it rapidly so it may not be totally accurate. If you create a subtask you need the parent task. I showed an example that you were only adding subtasks. I also show an example where you are creating a new Parent Task and Subtask together.

Here is exported CSV file from Excel opened in Word and printed as a PDF. Excel Export To CSV.pdf (5.1 KB)

It would be a great addition if it had all this flexibility.

2 Likes