Indicator for Sub-Tasks

I would be really good to also have an indicator if ā€œdescriptionā€ field is not blank! (Alternatively, the first part of the description could be displayed in small and/or gray letters.)

Thanks for considering!

6 Likes

I just noticed that if a task is more than just a title, there is a little arrow at the end of the line! So thatā€™s a good way to notice descriptions or subtasksā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re right! Thanks!

I just wish it was a little more bold and easy to notice!

1 Like

I also use descriptions to include critical information about a sub-task, but is not necessarily a task to be completed. There is currently no indication that a description is included for a task unless the view is expanded by clicking on that task.

2 Likes

We need the new indicator in Android app too, pleaseā€¦

2 Likes

If you have voted for this task consider also voting for Ideas/Feedback to display subtasks.

I also support this idea.

Maybe small thumbnails of the pictures added in a subtask could somehow be visible in the main task alsoā€¦

1 Like

A clear visual clue is really important. Other than the task creator, almost everyone else misses that there are sub-tasks.

A number of mechanisms could be followed, there are good suggestions here. But whatever it is, can we have this fast. A prominent + would be simple as an immediate fix instead of the almost hidden grey speech icon.

2 Likes

Yes, somehow I find Asana quite lacking in these kind of visual clues. Its horrible to need to click on a task to discover thereā€™s something inside.

2 Likes

Is there any work arounds that anyone has found for Subtasks? I keep loosing themā€¦ I would love it if we would be able to have some sort of dual column/list view that we could switch between?

Maybe even have the option to isolate a single column in a board and switch it to a ā€˜listā€™ view with each box being a ā€œheadingā€ of sorts?

If you find yourself losing track of subtasks, you may want to multihome them into the parent project. Just use keyboard shortcut Tab+P to add a subtask to a project, then type in and select the parent project youā€™re working from.

I guess if I ā€˜multi-homeā€™ them then itā€™s not a subtask anymore? I was using subtasks to organize thoughts and processes but I guess thatā€™s not what Asana is built to do?

1 Like

Yeah, I was about to signup for a paid account (switching over from Teamwork) until I realized that you canā€™t really see when a task has sub-task. Iā€™m a designer with a keen eye, and I only now noticed a small light grey arrow indicating sub-tasks. Seriously? Why even have it, you canā€™t see it! There is no way programmers on my team will see this, and sub-tasks will totally get skipped over given the parent task can still be checked off.

Can you make this dark grey, or colored. Something more visual please! And a speech bubble to indicate comments would also be really important.

In Teamwork, all tasks with new comments have a tiny green speech bubble, once viewed it disappears. And parent tasks canā€™t get checked off till the sub-tasks are checked off.

Please tell me this will be address soon as Iā€™d love to use asanaā€¦ but this is pretty basic but really an important requirement.

3 Likes

This is so important and coming up on a few different threads - we need more advanced functionality for managing tasks/subtasks within a project.

2 Likes

+1
And a indicator for the lower subtasks aswell.
Something like that:

1 Like

I use an arrow and also created a ā€œSub-task >>ā€ tag (colored) that helps me for now. But it would be awesome to have an automatic tag of some sort.

1 Like

Need that indicator for each level of sub-tasks to sub-sub-tasks.

Grey if no updates to that sub since last visited, colored if there is.

2 Likes

This would be wonderful, the current implementation is too subtle. I manage several contractors who donā€™t work in Asana all the time and itā€™s the number one thing they complain about, not knowing there sub-tasks that they needed to look at.

I agree. An indication for a filled ā€œdescriptionā€ field (besides another one for subtasks) would be extremely helpful! Hereā€™s s feature request for this you should all vote for! Feature Request: Add indication of SubTasks or Description