I've built a web App using the Asana API, the Meetup API and Firebase (database)

productivity

I have built a web app using the Asana API. the Meetup API and Firebase (database).

Initially it was an internal tool for our company, but I’m planning to improve it more, make it more customizable and I’m also planning to write a blog post explaining how I built it and what I learned along the way.

I believe it’s a good tool that can help people save a bunch of time.

So what does it do ?

1- I used React to build the web app.
2- I used both the Asana API and the Meetup API and everything is connected to Firebase ( database)
3- It’s a tool that let’s you search Soccer Meetup groups in a given city with a radius between 1 and 100 miles
a- once you enter the desired city, you get a table with all the Meetup groups with their Member count, city name, and a button “Send To Asana”
b- If you tap on the button “Send To Asana” :
- The app gathers all the Infos of the desired Meetup group (using the Meetup API)
- A task is created in Asana
- The title of the task is the name of the Meetup group
- The task is populated with custom filled ( Data gathered from Meetup is used to fill up all the custom fields)
- custom fields are populated with ( member count, When is the next event of the meet up group, the clickable group URL, state, country, Latitude/longitude, when was the group created
- The description of the task is filled with the meet up group description, the organizer name …etc

4- when you tap on the button “Send to Asana”, all the group info are also stored in Firebase ( Database) and all the upcoming events are also stored

5- the “Send to Asana” Button, changes and becomes “Update in Asana” , so that you know that you already sent this group to asana
6- If you tap on “Update is Asana”, All the info that changed on the group gets instantly updated in both Asana and the Database

This tool helped us gain a lot of time at our company, because imagine all the time that it would take to create all this task manually

Let me know if you have any questions and I will keep you posted as soon as I update the web app

Connecting multiple apps and APIs is always challenging, and it’s great to see more work being done with the Asana API. So, it’s for soccer meetups only (could it be expanded to do more than that)? Also, is this available to view, somewhere? Keep up the good work! :grinning:

It was a great learning experience, and I loved building this web app.
Currently you can only search for soccer meetup groups, because that was the initial need at our company.

But now I’m planning to make it more customizable and add the ability to search for any group that you want
I will post some pictures here, so that you get a better understanding of the functionality.

I will work on it more, and eventually make it available to the public.

I want to write some docs, and also a medium post to share what I learned during the process of building it :blush:

Hi,
I am planning to organize an Asana meetup in Berlin, Germany. Would be cool to try your app then to get a fast overview about existing project management meetups.
Would be cool to write a comment in asana and it sends a message to meetup participants and so on… :wink:

But definitely good initiative, looking forward for your Medium article.
Best,
Sebastian

Hello Sebastian,

I’m glad that you are interested in my App, and it would be an honor if you tried it out during your meetup.

I will work on it during the week and I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

In the meantime, here are some screenshots that shows the App interface, the tasks created in Asana and the group data sent to Firebase (database)

It’s still a work in progress, but I’m very excited with the result so far :slight_smile:

Best,

Aziz

Very nice! Your app is looking great and the functionality is impressive. Definitely keep us updated on your progress.

I am currently trying to create an Asana task with a simple React form. Do you have any tips or advice on how to go about integrating the API? The documentation is a tad bit confusing for a beginner.

Great work!