Make it possible to move multiple tasks as subtasks

I was wondering if there have been updates to allow multiple “Make Subtask Of”. It’d be nice if it were located with the other … options.

We have a project to manage all the print materials that will be ordered on a large buy. These pieces tie into specific tasks within various projects. What I’ve been doing manually is creating a Final POS task that has subtasks of all the print materials associated with the buy. This is done on a quarterly basis for about 100 pieces that I’m individually making subtasks. Additionally, when I make them a “subtask of”, the tasks disappear from the original buy project so I’m having to go in and re-add. My workaround so far has been to “Add to Project” project first (which can be done in bulk). Once in the individual project, when I move to “subtask of”, it does not get removed from the original Buy project though it does get removed from the project with the task that it is being made a subtask of (if that all makes sense).

2 Likes

Yes – me too. I had to move about 30 tasks individually into subtasks today.

3 Likes

Yes, please make this possible. Even if I could just CTRL+Click the tasks and drag them into the subtasks section of another task would be amazingly helpful.

3 Likes

Drag n’ drop would be huge!

4 Likes

Being able to move subtasks around more efficiently would give us more flexibility as well. We’d love it!

4 Likes

Hi! If I select one task, I can go to Advanced Actions > Make Subtask Of.
If I select multiple tasks, I don’t have this option. How can I do this in bulk?

Thanks!

4 Likes

You should probably upvote Make it possible to move multiple tasks as subtasks

6 Likes

Hi there!

We are currently using Asana to track employee draws - we have a Weekly Employee Tasks project where we keep track of their draws for the week, and check them off once we run payroll and everything is accounted for.

I would like to then move the checked off tasks into a task in another Project, and have found that the Advanced Option “Make Subtask of” is the only way to do this. Is there a way to do this with multiple tasks at once if I’m moving multiple draws from one Employee into another Task? Furthermore, is there a hot key for this besides having to go into the task and navigate to Advanced Options?

Thank you!

Hi @Anna_Jones!

Unfortunately this isn’t something available today so I would recommend upvoting > Make it possible to move multiple tasks as subtasks

I like the idea of there being a hot key for this behavior. That may not be as necessary if this ability was an option within the new bulk editing capabilities.

@Emily_Roman can you merge this post the following one:

with the post I am suggesting be upvoted above?

3 Likes

Thanks @LEGGO! I’ve merged the posts with the main feedback thread to centralize feedback :+1:

1 Like

Good morning guys,

It is possible to move subtasks as subtasks of another task but if I have several tasks (not subtasks) selected at once, I can’t find the option (…/Advanced/Make a subtask of) - screenshot attached. Or am I mistaken?

It’d be great to have that option too.

Best, Gilles

3 Likes

this is an issue for us too. we use subtasks as milestones for projects. at the moment we have to drag tasks individually from the task list to another task, so it becomes a subtask.

1 Like

we have about 100 tasks that we need to move to be subtasks! currently we have to do this one by one by dragging each task to become a subtask. its very painful not to have any option for bulk moving of tasks to subtasks. even selecting a few and trying to drag them to another task’s subtask section doesnt work.

is there any workaround for this to save us from individually moving all of them?

2 Likes

Just in case you are not aware: if these tasks don’t have very detailed and specific subtasks, you can just copy paste them as subtasks within the task you want (but it is true that it only works to paste the text, nothing else).

1 Like

its funny you mentioned that, we actually had just tried it as a workaround but we are trying to have these milestone tasks synced/multi-homed so copy and pasting seems to create a new sub task and also, dates and assignee don’t copy and paste :frowning:

it seems relatively easy to multi-home bulk subtasks into another project as tasks but trying to go the other way, multi-homing tasks as subtasks in another project is very difficult.

2 Likes

Another vote from me. This is an annoying one.

5 Likes

same here ! Reorganizing large lists after asana made the move to allow switching back-and-forth between list view & board view is extremely cumbersome without the ability to move multiple tasks into subtasks of another task.

@asana team: please provide a solution for this asap (could be as simple as an entry in the 3-button-menu “move to task as subtask”)

thanks!

2 Likes

Yes this would save me a lot of time as well! Big vote for me!

1 Like

This would save a ton of time for us as well!

Another vote from me as well!

1 Like