Making a task into a subtask removes the assignee/project from the subtask

When I take a task from “My Tasks” and drag it into another task in order to make it a sub-task, Asana removes the assignee from the subtask. This has always felt jarring to me and I can’t find where anyone else has mentioned it. Before I figured out this was happening, I thought I’d lost the task as it wouldn’t show up in My Tasks anymore, only to eventually find it when I’d review the parent task. Sometimes however the parent task isn’t mine, I’m just adding my tasks to something larger that another team member is overseeing and waiting on me to complete work for (this happens when we later recognize two things are related). The goal of this is so completing my sub-tasks informs the owner and they know it’s related to their parent task.

Is this a bug or design feature?

Here’s what the history looks like for a task this happens in:

I didn’t do the line where it said I unassigned it from myself, that happened automatically.

That is indeed very weird and looks like a bug to me! cc @Kaitie

2 Likes

@RyanE, @Bastien_Siebman Yeah I have noticed this for a while… I assumed it wasnt a bug, but would like to think it was…

I’ve been using Asana for the last month and this is driving me crazy! I use Zapier to help create tasks which often are sub parts of larger tasks so after creation I simply need to move them off to another task but it’s such a pain that the assignee disappears every time.

Of course what I really need is to just make a default assignee. I don’t use asana in a collaboration environment and want everything assigned to me.

This is a weird bug. It does not happen when you have opened a project with that task. It only happens when you have opened the “my tasks” tab. (It even happens when the task is contained in other projects.)

Please fix this.

@Emily_Roman or @Marie, I’ve always assumed this was intended, but I wish it didn’t remove the assignee. Can you confirm/explain?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi @lpb, thanks for bringing this to our attention! I was able to reproduce this on my end :raised_hands: I’ve escalated this to our team to confirm weather it’s expected or a bug :slight_smile: I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

same here =) :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hi all, just a quick note to let you know our team confirmed they will work to solve this issue. Thanks again for your report! We don’t have a specific ETA this will be solved but I’ll make sure to let you know as soon as I have updates.

2 Likes

That’s great news, @Emily_Roman. I think this will be much less surprising behavior for folks.

Larry

1 Like

When you select the advanced options within a task (Make a subtask of), it results in the removal of current projects the task is in.

For example, this has on numerous occasions resulted in mixups within our organization where a task magically disappeared from our To Do list projects and we finally figured out it was from making it a subtask of a different project.

I’d LOVE if you had the option or changed this entirely to disrupt its current project assignments.

Hi @Seth_Callaway and thanks for creating this new thread. This is currently an expected behaviour, but you can find some tips in this other thread: How to make task as subtask but keep it in the current project? - #8 by Patrick_Lorenz. Hope this helps!

Whenever making a subtask from a task already added to a project, its project is removed.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a task
  2. Add it to a project
  3. Move it to a list - e.g. In Progress
  4. Make it a subtask of another task
  5. Project of this task is removed - FAIL
  6. List task was in is also removed - FAIL

Expected:
Project and list task was in should not be removed.

Browser version:
Chrome: 80.0.3987.87 (64-bit)
Firefox: 72.0.2 (64-bit)

2 Likes

Before making it a subtask

After making it a subtask

The assignee is removed too, under some circumstances at least.

Both are intentional practices by Asana, though we may not agree with them!

I suspect the moderators will want to move this to product feedback or find an existing thread.

Larry

1 Like

Thank you for reaching out @jdorleans and apologies for the confusion here.

As @lpb explained, this is an expected behaviour. I would suggest you to cast your vote and to have a look at Marie’s post in the thread; you might find it useful.

I have merged your post with the mentioned thread to consolidate feedback on this topic. Please let me know if you have any follow-up question Jonathan! Have a nice week!

+1
We have a lot of projects on our team to keep track of various tasks because otherwise it’s way too chaotic in Asana - e.g. the intake funnel, the backlog, sprints.
When adding something to the backlog and then making it a subtask of a milestone in the intake funnel, I don’t want it to disappear from the backlog. That’s insane.

1 Like

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Creating a task in a project, and then using the ‘make subtask of’ advanced function will remove the task from the original project.

Steps to reproduce:
Choose a task in a project.
Make it a subtask of another task using the advanced function.

Browser version:

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Lucas_Macdonald, welcome to the Forum!

I see what you mean and this is currently working as intended. When you convert a task as subtask, it’ll also remove the task from the project. We have an existing product feedback thread for this topic and I’ve gone ahead and merged your thread with the main request to centralize feedback. I hope you don’t mind!

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: When I use the button on a task to “Make a subtask of” from “Advanced actions”, it removes any tags I have on the task & puts the subtask somewhere random on the list so it’s hard to find in the new task.

Steps to reproduce: Task-> advanced actions-> make a subtask of-> select a task

Browser version: Chrome 87.0.4280.88

Upload screenshots below: