Managing/Prioritizing/Reporting A LOT of Projects in Asana

Glad I’m not the only one with this problem!

In summary: Asana is not perfect for everything, but I’m learning there are some workarounds that have potential.

First, I switched from Trello to Asana because there was no way in Trello to see all tasks from all boards. I was thankful that Asana has this which is an improvement.

But even with this, now that I have a list of 100 tasks spread throughout 10 different Projects, how do I prioritize? I could prioritize by due date, but that’s not the only factor.

I think it’s best to create a system to prioritize for you so that you don’t waste brain power deciding what to do next. In the past I created a Google Sheet task matrix with priority factors and due dates that helped me answer the questions “What do I do next?” and “What do I do today?”

So I believe the answer is Connecting a Google Sheet Task Matrix with Asana via Zapier

Using Zapier you can connect your Google Sheet with all tasks to your Asana board.

I love using a Google Sheet matrix to see all tasks in one view, weighted by priority. I can very quickly edit them right there without clicking into each task in Asana.

This is where Google Sheets shines, but Asana shines in other ways: conversations between employees on certain tasks and projects, the visual boards view, and a few other features.

This is still a work in progress on my end and I don’t yet have THE SOLUTION but I think this brings some sanity to my workflow.

I haven’t yet had to deal with the reporting issue you’re discussing, but as Asana integrates with Google Sheets reporting, I think there’s a good flow you can design there to bring it full circle.

5 Likes