Missing view options for Tasks Completed recently

Hi Alexis - Basically, for our weekly one on one meetings, we have a
project to manage the agenda, with sections for what has been done in the
past week, and what is coming up, what is stuck. We show the items that
have been completed in the last week, so that we can review each of those,
along with the upcoming or unfinished tasks. We are not currently using
premium, but are likely to upgrade soon. We like sections in order to be
able to easily drag things around and reorder them.

1 Like

Hi Ben - For clarification, you’ll still be able to view completed tasks using the current view.

Regarding your current sorting capabilities, I recommend that you keep a few browser tabs open and/or toggle between views when deciding which tasks to move around. I think you’ll find custom fields to be especially helpful in sorting scenarios moving forward.

Hi Alexis - I am aware that we can still see completed tasks, although the point of our one on one meetings is to review what was completed over the last week, and what is on deck for the coming week. The ‘Completed Since’ view option was really nice for that, because it would limit what we see to just the most recent completed items, and not clutter up the project with old stuff. Creating different views for those things would mean we would have to switch back and forth, and set them up individually for each user and their manager, rather than just using a common template. Is there any update as to when the old views options will return?

1 Like

Hi Ben - Thanks for providing your thoughts and with so much detail. This is super helpful for my team as we consider how to move forward. I can appreciate your concern and I’ve delivered your feedback to my team. Unfortunately I’m not able to provide an update on the future state of these views, but I’ll do my best to reach out if I have any new information.

This help page shows how to customize the task list view:

But, the actual Asana product doesn’t have the same dropdown menu “View: Incomplete Tasks”. The menu that’s in the same place is a gearbox, but that dropdown doesn’t have any “Customize View…” option. Does this feature still exist in Asana?

Thanks,
Neil

Hi @Neil_Herriot. Thanks for checking in! It sounds like you’re not seeing a bug, but instead a new tasks drop down feature that is being a/b tested. I suspect you’ll recognize the layout that we see in this thread:

Please let us know if you have follow up questions. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Alexis. Can I get out of the test? This feature is pretty critical for me. Why would you disable an important feature completely as part of an A/B test?

2 Likes

Hi Neil,

Unfortunately we aren’t able to specifically add or remove individuals from these tests. That said, there are many ways to still view and sort for the things you’re looking for. I recommend saving an advanced search for these so you can easily access them in your sidebar.

As I mentioned to Tim, running tests like this allows our team to ensure we are providing the most value to you as quickly as possible—by building a feature, gathering learnings, and iterating based on these learnings. So, thank you for your feedback on this feature, it’s super helpful. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you! If you have additional feedback or questions about this feature, please let us know.

Thanks again, Neil.

Hi @Alexis. Unfortunately I think we’ve got the same changed view (maybe a/b testing) as mentioned by Neil before, but I am not sure if this is the new default view…
Instead of the Text-Link-Dropdown with the possibility to view all tasks and specify which completed tasks should be viewable, we can only use a radio-button (incomplete, complete, all) without any further options. I find this very annoying giving the fact, that with this new layout the (at least for us) very important display options seem to have disappeared. Especially the possibility to show “all tasks” but narrow down the “completed tasks” to show only the completed ones since yesterday or from the past 7 days is badly missed n our team.
Are we missing something (kind of a new option hidden somewhere) or should this be a feature and not a bug? The alternative to use advanced search isn’t really solving this particular issue. We were able to instantly see the incomplete and todays completed tasks with a “single click” on the project.
Hopefully you can help us out with another approach or something…

Thanks,
Sebastian

1 Like

Hi Sebastian - Thanks for this feedback. As mentioned, this is not a bug but there are a few different options for viewing the information you need. Unfortunately, it might have to take more than just one click to sort the information at this time. However, I encourage you to set up and save an advanced search in your side bar, which will only take one click to access moving forward. Thanks again for your feedback. It will help our product team determine what steps to take moving forward.

1 Like

I already mentioned it in a frazzled email to your support team a few weeks ago when I saw this, but I absolutely loathe not being able to customize view - it tthrew off our entire conventions by hjaving either ALL tasks, or incomplete tasks only and not just completed < 2 weeks ago + incomplete. Anyway, I know it’s not relevant to the discussion thread here but I had to mention it. I didn’t know it was A/B testing but do not want! =P

7 Likes

Totally hear you on this :innocent:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m going to echo Caisha and Sebastian. Advanced search is not a substitute. There’s no sections or Today/Upcoming/Later with an “advanced search” view. It is much harder to manage complex projects without custom views. Please fix this ASAP.

6 Likes

Hi Alexis, thanks for your quick answer but I have to agree with Neil on this one. Actually ATM there is NO possibility to display incomplete + tasks completed in the last x days/weeks in a list through the advanced search. The missing sections or Today/Upcoming/Later in a search result list would be another issue for this.
Sorry to emphasize this so much but it’s annoying to me how this little but important feature simply disappears having in mind the wast amount of other little improvements and functions wich make asana so great. Despite, the bare function for this is still working: we have the default task view on a project (saved a while ago) still showing the desired complete + incomplete tasks. The only thing missing are those options to set up this custom view again for a new project.

1 Like

Hi Alexis!

Possibility to show incomplete tasks for one and two weeks is very important for prioritization.

It’s a pity that such asana’s killer feature is gone :frowning:

3 Likes

Alexis-
I am going to echo the others opinions that removing the custom view settings is a bad idea. I also need to be able to see completed tasks ONLY within the last 7 days, for instance. Creating a custom search view for all of our different projects is not a good alternative. I hope you can pass all this feedback back to the development team and they can add this functionality back.

5 Likes

@Alexis - I will also echo everyone’s sentiment that there is no solution for views that were possible before. My whole team shares “ 2 weeks” saved search views with each other and live off of that. It used to show upcoming tasks due in the next 2 weeks plus past due incomplete tasks. It now only shows upcoming tasks, which does not help in determining what tasks are slipping and need to be reassigned to someone else or have due dates adjusted. This is an unexpected major change that has dramatically slowed down our entire team. This is frustrating.

@Alexis - Is there a way to get our previous shareable 2 week view system another way? (without having to manually update dates)

4 Likes

I really like the old “today/yesterday/last week” options.

2 Likes

What is the latest on this? I like the others really need the ability to see incomplete tasks + tasks completed in the last x of days/weeks. Very frustrating.

1 Like

Hi again - I am not able to provide an update on this. However, I’ve shared this thread with the product team and they’re aware of your feedback. Thank you for being so communicative. :slight_smile: