Move task from new to today if due date is set to today

It would be a nice if a task moved automatically from “New Tasks” to “Today” when a user sets a due date of today. If the due date is today, shouldn’t it be in the today section of “my tasks”?

This would be another addition to task promotion. You already promote tasks out of Later and Upcoming. You should also “promote” them out of “new” when the due date is today.

1 Like

@Matt_Eggers I believe the rational behind why it is in New Tasks not directly in Today. Is that whenever a new tasks is assigned to you either by yourself or by someone else regardless if there is a Due Date or not on it, it will appear in your New Task section so that you can review and accept that this is a task that you are willing to take on.

It gives you the opportunity to go back to the person who assigned you the task and say hey I can’t do that today as it is not a priority item for me

Hope that helps.

Jason.

1 Like

I’m a sole practitioner and I do a lot of maintenance work for my client’s web sites. I’ve got tasks set up for each client that recur every other week. When I open My Tasks/List the only sections are New Tasks, Upcoming Tasks, and Later. If I open My Tasks/Calendar, the task is clearly there and is due today.

They’re all assigned to me (because there’s no one else to assign them to).

Appreciate any help.

p.s., I’ve tried reaching out to Support, but all they do is send me links to articles that aren’t relevant.

Hi @Jack_Lavender, Have you tried this:

For a task in My Tasks > New Tasks, click the blue dot at its far right and select Mark for Today.

That should create the Today grouping and move your task there. You can multi-select to accomplish this for multiple tasks at once too.

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro consultant at Trilogi Software

Larry, I know I can do that.

My question is: Why do I have to do that? Why isn’t a task that is due today AUTOMATICALLY added to the Today section?

4 Likes

Ah, sorry about that. I agree–I think that should be happening. Perhaps @Marie can help directly or by re-introducing your question to Support?

Thanks for the mention @lpb! @Jack_Lavender we already have a thread on this topic, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your feedback with the main thread to consolidate all feedback in one place; I recommend checking out @Jason_Woods post to understand more about the current behaviour. Feel free to add your vote to the main thread as votes don’t carry over when threads are merged!

I understand where you’re trying to go with the “new task assigned to me by someone else and due today” use case. Even in that case, action on the task is still due TODAY. One might choose not to accept the task, but it is still something that has to be dealt with today. However, in my case, I have a recurring task that was assigned and accepted and comes due every Tuesday (it happens to be web site maintenance). Clearly, every Tuesday that task should show up in my Today section, but it doesn’t.

1 Like

I have ongoing frustration with how My Tasks is implemented because when tasks are created or edited they are NOT auto-organized as expected. If a task is set with a Due Date of Today, then it should automatically come up in the Today section. It currently doesn’t work that way and is confusing and sub-optimal.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your feedback @Bill_Doerrfeld! We already have a thread on this topic, so I have gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to consolidate feedback on this topic; hope that’s ok!

I know there’s been lots of discussion and complaints regarding how My Tasks fails with respect to automatically collecting tasks with a Due Date applied to Today. Here’s a very specific example of how it fails.

I have a task with due date set to tomorrow. I’m getting ahead on my tasks and decide to change the due date to Today. I return to My Tasks and see that the task is NOT put in the Today section. I have to navigate to Home to see the task marked due today. But, maybe I forgot to do that and I forget the name of the task. All I remember is “this is just another thing I need to get done today.” I’m lost for a bit until I locate the task and then I want to apply it to the Today section in My Tasks. However, I’m viewing the task in its detail and I see no option to apply it to the Today section in My Tasks (there should be said option under the “
” menu. Luckily I’m a keyboard shortcut junkie and have memorized virtually all the Asana keyboard shortcuts so I apply Tab-Y to get the task moved to Today in My Tasks. I ponder what it must be like for other users who don’t know the keyboard shortcut, lost the task and struggle to quickly find it in My Tasks.

Worse yet, you mark something due Today and then go about your business doing other work as you don’t have time to check My Tasks after each and every due date assignment. It’s a few hours later in the day and your reviewing your tasks list and get everything done EXCEPT for the recently changed task in question and because you don’t it in My Tasks Today section it doesn’t get acted on. The next day roles along and you see the task in red in My Tasks Today section and you question yourself as to how you missed doing this the prior day and you know you cleared out everything in Today. In frustration you spend an hour searching the Web on various Asana topics and then discover that there’s some issues with how My Tasks Today operates. You then realize your productivity and tracking is on a bit of a slippery slope and requires careful attention when setting things to be due Today. You then ponder just how a productivity tool misses in providing a full proof way to ensure you truly get done what you’re supposed to accomplish Today. You see that many others have raised this topic for well over a year and then you wonder how it is that said problem continues to exist. You then resolve to try to explain it in clear terms so that powers-that-be may better understand the problem.

And, there you have it.

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback @Bill_Doerrfeld; I appreciate your point of view, and apologies for the inconvenience; this is something I have raised in the “Voice of Customer” report I wrote ahead of our next roadmap week, as I know it is a popular request on the Forum. I unfortunately don’t have any update to share today, but I will make sure to keep you posted as soon as I do. In the meantime, since we already have a thread on this topic, I have gone ahead and merged your post with the existing thread.

I completely agree with what is being said. As a person just setting up ASANA for the first time, it is overwhelming my staff that 100 things show up in the my tasks section and then have to be manually moved into the appropriate places. I understand the rational for allowing people to accept the tasks and move them themselves but in the initial set up phase it would be nice if you could somehow allow it to auto assign based on due date into today, later and upcoming. It is delaying user acceptance of the program that they are overwhelmed with a long list of new tasks.

On another note, if you create your own sections, say Quarter 1, Quarter 2 etc, will things automove into the appropriate new sections or do things only move between, today, upcoming, later?

Thanks.!

Shirlyn

1 Like

Hi @Shirlyn_Adkins and apologies for the inconvenience, I completely understand where you’re coming from. I recently wrote a Voice of Customer report and made sure to insist on this feature request; hopefully this is something we can improve soon!

As it stands, tasks will only auto-promote between the Today/Upcoming/Later sections; you will need to manually sort them in your own quarterly sections.

Again, my apologies for the inconvenience; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

1 Like

Having a task assigned today with today’s due date still does not populate into the ‘Today’ section of ‘My Tasks’. I am reviewing this product to use within our small company of 20 or so employees and this is one of the bigger oversights I’ve seen with the tool. Is there an update on whether this feature will be implemented or not?

2 Likes

Hi @Brandon_Byess and welcome to the Forum :wave:t3:

This feature hasn’t been scheduled yet, but this is definitely something that will be considered for future My Task update; I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have an have update on this topic!

This is exactly what I use New Tasks section for. Until I assign it a date or mark it for upcoming, later, or Today, I don’t want it moved from there.

In “My Tasks”, have recently assigned tasks, with Due Dates, auto move to the appropriate category: Today, Upcoming or Later.

If I assign myself 30 tasks in one day, with Due Dates, then I’ve taken the step to prioritize the tasks by date. But, I now have to go to the “Recently Assigned” section (in My Tasks) to manually move these tasks into: Today, Upcoming or Later.

It would save time if they were auto moved according to the due date.

@Jeremy_Carroll

I’d definitely not want to see this change implemented because I think it undermines underlying nature of the “Marked For” feature allowing the user to 1) have visibility of their new tasks, and 2) triage them as they wish.

If this were to be implemented, I’d lose sight of new work on my plate; tasks might get merged into Today or Upcoming or, worse yet, lost in Later.

“Marked For” was not conceived to be automatically bound to the due date for a few reasons.

Users who prefer that can currently sort their My Tasks by Due Date.

But if this change were made, the rest of us would have no workaround for the loss of visibility such changes would have on My Tasks.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Hi @Chris_Parker,

We already have a thread on this topic, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this existing thread to avoid duplicates!