My Story: Creating a Project Roadmap in Asana

We have a lot of small to medium sized projects within our company that we are working on concurrently. So I need a way to stay on top of all of the major milestones for each project in a single view. In the past I managed this in a spreadsheet where I tracked the upcoming milestones each month. This gave me a single view where I could see all of the important milestones at a glance. I wanted to move this to Asana.

How I did this:

Each of our projects is a project in Asana – but there wasn’t a way to get a single calendar view of all the major milestones across all projects. So I created a separate project called “Project Roadmap”.

In the Project Roadmap I created sections for each month. Within that Month I added tasks for each major milestone. I used the date field to track when that milestone is due and use the custom fields to track the type of milestone. I also used a custom field to track the team that the milestone is for.

Here is an example:

The benefit of this project is it allows me to see all of the major milestones for all of my projects at a glance organized by the month that they are due. I can then go to that project for more details if needed to view the tasks and status of how it’s progressing.

3 Likes

Hi @Laurie_Riekmann this is great! Thanks for sharing. I’ve seen this come up a lot - people wanting an easy way to track the status of multiple projects in one place. Dashboards are good, but sometimes lack the granularity that users are after.

Something I recently did with a client was to add a new task which is the name of the project to the top of the task list. This task then gets added to the new “project summary” project. That way, when you click on the task in the “project summary” project you can quickly click to be taken to the project it’s referring to.

Your approach is great and I like the use of the custom fields. I guess for you it makes more sense to add tasks manually as you want to use the “Project name + milestone” naming convention and because you have multiple milestones per project.

3 Likes