Need Asana/Google access under Team Drives!

Our files lives on team drive now. Didn’t see why asana still hasn’t supported this yet

Basic feature. Will stop Asana implementation since does not make sense not using the updated file picker from google drive that already uses this.

+1 for team drives. Have just migrated to Asana and moved all our files to G Suite specifically for the integration advertised on the site. It’s crucial that files aren’t duplicated (or worse moved out of the team drive) to someone’s personal drive. Disappointing to see standardised responses and closed threads when there’s clearly an essential need for this.

1 Like

Wow… I am astounded by the way ASANA has handled this issue that is almost a year and a half old.

For everyone on this threads reference, Alexis closed a thread on this exact issue after declaring it was being prioritized along other “features”. This is despite that people have pointed out this isn’t really a feature as it is a bug / error / defect as team drive is a core portion of google drive app which is claimed on multiple sales docs to be supported and should be treated as such.

At the same time she closed that thread, this one popped up and the truth that the correction of this item isn’t even on the roadmap is finally revealed by a sales person…

This feels like a complete misrepresentation of the last years thread but even further, a total disregard for what is very clearly a major productivity issue in the system for many customers.

For reference here is the old thread:
https://forum.asana.com/t/attaching-files-from-gsuites-new-team-drive-s/873/108

And Alexis, for the record, responding to what is a very pointed thread about lose of productivity because of what customers see as a broken feature, with “go read this article about our roadmap” is extremely frustrating and not considerate of customers time.

1 Like

Hi Robert,

It sounds like you’re passionate about Asana! I respect that and truly appreciate your commitment to this product. It sounds like this feature would have a big impact on your workflow, and I personally wish that it were as simple as me snapping my fingers and making the change happen. As Community Manager, it is my job to be a voice for the community here at Asana and to deliver your thoughts to my team. While it is unfortunate that the product team isn’t able to meet every request when it is made, I feel confident in our product team’s decision making process. I can tell you for certain that our PMs are doing their very best to create a roadmap that will better our customer experience and our product, within the limits of bandwidth, team size, and the simple fact that there are only 24 hours in one day.

As for thread closure, this is a common practice in online forums that keeps forums healthy and up to date. However, we hear you on the concern and have paused thread closures in order to explore multiple avenues for keeping the forum healthy.

Thank you, Robert, and thanks to all of you for your passion for the Asana product and all that we do here. It’s our goal to make your work lives better, easier, and more efficient with our product and we’ll continue to do our best to serve you and that mission each day.

Have a great weekend, folks!
Alexis

3 Likes

Has something changed in Asana recently? I’ve just been able to select a team drive in our G Suite account when adding a file to a task. Either way - this is great news!

2 Likes

It looks like Asana quietly added team drive. It’s not working seamlessly for me yet, so I’m guessing they’re still in the testing phase. Glad that Asana is finally responding to their customers expressed needs.

1 Like

Great, I’m happy to here this, as we only use teams drives for our volunteers and board.

None of us are seeing the option to select Team Drive. Frustrating.

We have it now! Thanks Asana.

Yes! So excited that you’ve seen this! For more information take a look at this link:

2 Likes

I find it unbelievably ridiculous that the previous thread on this topic has been closed.

Just because a year has elapsed no fix has been provided for this functionality. Just because people are calling out the absurdity of the situation. Every other product we use has fixed this defect. Asana still has not addressed this defect and as I have said before is still advertising it as a selling feature. See here Asana is now a recommended app for Google's G Suite and https://asana.com/guide/help/api/google and Google Drive + Asana • Asana. The integration no longer works, one side of the integration made changes and now the google drive integration is broken and no longer works. This has caused many hours of lost productivity with workarounds that involve dragging files to google my drive and linking them and moving them back to the team drive, or copying links and typing the names of files. Please prioritize this as a defect fix that is urgently needed not a new idea or want from your users.

Please open the thread so we can continue to see the number of people who need this and who are impacted negatively by the continued existance of this defect.

14 Likes

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply and your passion in the engagement of the community feedback. We are continuously capturing, aggregating, and passing along the feedback from the community to our product team, including your feedback about the Team Drive integration.

As the community continues to grow and evolve, we are also doing our best to create clarity for community members to find answers to questions while also providing an outlet for sharing product feedback with breadth and depth. We are still working out how we approach this with each open feedback thread and in aggregate across the community moving forward, and we hope to have a more formal solution soon. In the meantime, I understand and apologize for your frustration.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, @Kaitie.

Hi @Doug_Holbrook - We genuinely appreciate your concerns here and we’re sorry to hear of your frustration. To echo Kaitie’s comments, we are at a unique stage in Community development, where we aim to learn and grow from one year of our Community. Part of that process includes doing our best to keep the Community clean and organized for visitors, and part of that process is determining how to adjust our existing processes to better serve our customers. Unfortunately, there will be some growing pains during this process, and we appreciate your patience as we find an ongoing system. Feel free to continue to share your feedback. In the meantime, if you’re curious about how Asana takes into account feedback and builds the product roadmap, I recommend this Medium post by our head of Product, Jackie Bavaro.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

I was not part of the original conversation but I did go back and read/skim. It’s a bit disturbing that it’s gone on this long with no timeframe of this being “fixed”

I will say on behalf of Asana though… The way that Google rolled out Team Drives was a mess for anyone else who deals with them. They seeded it to a LOT of business users and tried to get a lot of adoption before it was EVER ready to go Live. It was in beta for a very long time. There wasn’t even a clear sign how sure they were that this would work with a lot of internal discussions that were very upset with the change from the old drive.

And if you think Asana is behind… check this out… we use chromeboxes here at the office and Team Drives STILL doesn’t work with the Files app on ChromeOS which means we can’t use Team Drives properly for upload/download on google’s OWN operating system.

While I am a bit concerned about this being a year old and having the thread closed with no timeframe posted, I also have seen a lot of Great things from Asana compared to other apps I’ve used and I’m confident they will fix this.

7 Likes

I had a support ticket about this topic that finally got a very clear and understandable answer, this is all I have been looking for this past year.
@Matthew_Burt is right Google’s rollout of Team Drives was a mess. And it seems the Asana team has run into difficulties with the new picker. From Brandon at Asana Support
“There are currently some blockers we are facing, which is delaying the progress of the team drive development. Unfortunately, I am unable to disclose what is specifically happening, but rest assure, we are working on it.”

Everyone understand sometimes things are not compatible and it takes time, this is a much more understandable response than, thanks for the feature request it will be added to the backlog.

Entire Response
Brandon
MAR 06, 2018 | 02:25PM PST
Hi Doug,
Thanks for writing back and apologies for that.

You are definitely correct that the team drive picker for google has been out. It looks like my colleague was not brushed up with updates regarding the Google Team drive situation.

Looking into the open task we have, it looks like our team is currently in the midst of coordinating with Google to get this feature developed.

There are currently some blockers we are facing, which is delaying the progress of the team drive development. Unfortunately, I am unable to disclose what is specifically happening, but rest assure, we are working on it.

I have also notified my team regarding updates around the Google team drive situation so that we do not run into this mishap again.

In regards to why the thread was closed, from looking into the community post you are referencing, I can see that my colleague, Alexis had left a response. From a glance, since we are already in the works of developing this feature, new requests for a Team drive feature will be redundant.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Thanks,
Brandon

As a brand new Premium user with 14 other colleagues, I’m really disappointed to see the way that the thread on this was closed after a year with no answer. This thread has provided some relief so thanks but already I’m wondering if we’ve made a mistake with Asana because of this. A timeline to getting this sorted would be appreciated.

Well again, she just handled this one situation in a way that upset some people. And I wouldn’t even say it was “wrong”, it’s just the way it was perceived. Asana is great, their team is great, their support staff is great, and their code is great. I would not be worried about this one thing.

Archiving posts that are a year old is a very normal thing to do. There was just a bit of miscommunication with their team. Everyone makes mistakes. I know I’ve miscommunicated with my clients and team before… It happens.

1 Like

Hi folks - We hear you on this. For the time being we have stopped our practice of closing threads. While closing threads is a common and necessary practice in online Communities in order to keep content fresh and helpful for all visitors, it sounds like we need to reconsider our options here. My team and I are exploring other options for how to engage with your product feedback and keep the content in our Community current for our visitors. Thanks for being patient with us as we consider the best next steps to take. cc @Marie @Michael_A

1 Like

So, is there a way we can vote on the priority of this fix? The old thread had a way, but I don’t see how to do it in this thread. It’s a huge issue for our company.