Our API call to get "workspace" keeps failing with the new API platform X-Asana-Api-Version: 1.1

We are referencing the Asana API “get workspace”. It was running fine before. Now from fiddler, from the response header, we can see that it is using the new API platform, as the response shows X-Asana-Api-Version: 1.1. And our call always returns a sad cloud face with empty workspace listed. And odd enough, this is an intermittent issue. Sometimes our call is being redirected to old API platform, which it will pass and work fine.
Could you please let us know why sometimes we are being directed to the new api platform and sometimes to the old api platform?

And if we need to go with new API platform, is there any change we need to do from our side, for example, the request header or something like that?

Thank you for your help.

Hello, Mr. Einstein, big fan of your work!

I tested out what you’re seeing, and unfortunately couldn’t get it to reproduce :frowning: I tried running curl and setting the header to route to the new API:

curl --header "Authorization: Bearer $ASANA_PERSONAL_ACCESS_TOKEN" \ --header "Asana-Fast-Api: true" \ "https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/workspaces"

and got

{
“data” : [ {
“id” : 15793206719,
“name” : “Asana, Inc”
}, … ]
}

So I think it’s not simply the fact that it’s the new API, but perhaps something else or some combination of things. What are you using to make the actual call - are you using, say, one of our client libraries, or making calls in a browser? (There is a known thing we’re evaluating for in-browser integrations which might be related here).

Regardless, I can let you know what’s going on with the intermittent-ness. We’re trying to do a slow, controlled migration of our API, and as a part of doing that, we’re partitioning out our requests to some percentage going to each version of the API. This partition is happening based on the user’s credentials; so if you’re using a personal access token, you may see something different than someone else using a different access token, and if it’s an oauth app, every time you get a new refresh token (I think every hour or so) you might be partitioned into a different bucket. Finally, any time we notice that something in our process internally is not solid with regards to managing our new API infrastructure, we might go back to 100% usage of the old API, so everything’s a moving target :slight_smile:

What you can do is force using our old API by setting that header we mentioned to false, that is, the header should be Asana-Fast-Api: false. This lets you choose which API you hit: true is the new one, false is the old one, and unset is whichever bucket you happen to land in.

Hopefully this helps! If you can let me know any other information we can use to try to reproduce what you’re seeing, I’d appreciate it!