Possibility to share projects between teams

In our organisation we have many teams and many projects. There is hardly any project thatā€™s only centralized to one department. Although you can share tasks itā€™s very difficult to get the overview unless you can have the ability to share a big project between teams.

We also have our daily operations going through our organisation from product design to delivery and finance. A lot of handovers between departments. Our core process which we would like everyone to see.

Our workaround is to:
-Let everyone be apart of each other teams both for transparency but also for making sure you can see a project overview.

-Sharing tasks - but then you have to put it somewhere in your team, which means it will get harder to find what you are looking for.

-Placing some projects in a HQ team where everyone is a part of. However responsibility thatā€™s not very good. Not as clear what team has the final responsibility for the whole project.

It would be very good if you could share a project between teams and secondary to make it more easier to find what you are looking for in the navigation bar overall. Not sure how though. Today itā€™s a lot of scrollingā€¦

Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

I like the idea of multihoming a Project in multiple Teams, but I see two issues.

• How do you handle a Project multihomed in Teams with different privacy settings (membership by request, hidden, public to organization)?
  • This would add even more items to the navigation bar, which you mentioned is already too cluttered for you liking.

Also, as far as finding Projects in the navigation bar more easily and without the scrolling. I make heavy use of the add Projects to favorites feature. This way the Projects I look at the most are always at the top of the navigation bar.

Thanks for the response.
In our company we keep total transparency so it wouldnā€™t be a problem for us. However I can see that it might not work perfekt how the system i set up today. It would be a very strong feature for us to be able to share projects across teams.

I also use favorites for projects. Currently I have 158 projects to keep track on. So favourites doesnā€™t really help. I have started creating a reference project with links instead but I still feel it could be made easier somehow.

I agree, @Finn_Stenberg.

The main problem for us is that we have several teams using Asana but ours has the only premium subscription. This means we canā€™t invite any one from other teams to access our projects, because they automatically count as part of our subscription (limited access users). Thatā€™s pretty much killed collaboration across teams for us.

It would be nice if there was an option to invite members from other teams, where they only have the option to comment or tick a task as complete, and they didnā€™t count towards the premium teamā€™s seats.

6 Likes

We use teams to indicate project ownership. Then we add project members from other departments that have tasks within that project. This way, responsibility is really clear, but there is still transparency. Project ownership are responsible for project follow-through as the process moves through different departments.

What I would like to see is at least an option to make projects ā€œpublicā€ to the whole organization. As it currently is, there is no way to let other departments know what or how many projects a team is currently working on without being a member of every team. We had hoped Asana would be our organizationā€™s ā€œproject managerā€, since we donā€™t have that role in the organization (< 30) and since Asana markets itself as a project management tool. However, without the ability to know what projects are being worked on by other teams, we canā€™t know all of the projects that are currently happening within the organization and therefore, canā€™t do project management collaboratively through Asana.

6 Likes

Agreed, I also struggle with sharing projects across teamsā€¦ I have multiple people who need very limited access in Asana, so it doesnā€™t make sense to pay for the upgraded seats for them when they just need visibility or limited access. It would be great if there was the ability to utilize the ā€œguestā€ role for people with the same email domain, providing them only limited functionality.

3 Likes

Hello, I have a project set up as a common workflow with a series of tasks broken up into sections. I use this project as a template whenever I start developing a new product, but I need the project to appear under two teams (Marketing and Production) and show the progress across both instances of the project. Currently what I do is create the project under one team and then duplicate and move the duplicate to the other team. Then, in order to share progress across instances, I have to delete all of the tasks in the duplicate, then go to the original and select tasks by section and add them back into the duplicate (selecting the appropriate section each time).

I do it this way because duplicating it in the first place keeps all of the section headers of the original project, which makes organization easier when adding the tasks back in, and our workflow has over 100 standard tasks, so keeping it organized is key.

I would love if there were a way to ā€˜mirrorā€™ a project to another team, instead of using the current ā€˜duplicateā€™ function. Does something like this exist?

Hi @David_Volante, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

I completely understand where youā€™re coming from here! It is not yet possible to multi-home a Project in two Teams but this is a popular request in the Forum.

Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged this post with the existing feature request in the #productfeedback category to keep all feedback consolidated. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll loop back in with you should there be any updates to this feature! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just adding my vote that this would be very helpful. We work very collaboratively in my company, and Iā€™d love to have projects be much more shareable without people needing to be invited to every team.

3 Likes

This would be extremely helpful!

1 Like

I am replying to the other post that merged with this that was about ā€œmirroring tasksā€. I upvote that. Some tasks are relational and are helpful to see in more than one place because they can be categorized in more than one way. Itā€™s the difference between filing something in just one folder vs tagging it. Workflowy has a way of mirroring their elements. Something like this would be nice - so that I could restructure tasks or outline of activities in different ways.

Adding my upvote to this feature as well. I need to make projects public to the entire organization and only a small subset as private.

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath Has this feature been added to Asana (Premium)? Iā€™m looking into homing an intake project in several different Teams but havenā€™t found any articles to help.

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath, following on from Mariaā€™s request for update - has the feature been added?

1 Like

how long do feature requests usually take.

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your feedback and advocating for this feature! We just launched an explicit ā€œshared with organizationā€ privacy option when creating a project so you can share projects with the right people easily.

Going forward, you can see three project privacy settings on projects:

1. Private to members projects are private to the direct members on a project.
  2. Team only projects are visible to the direct members on a project as well as the members of the projectā€™s containing team
  3. Shared with Organization (Your Organizatinā€™s name) projects are visible to the direct members on a project, the members of the containing team, and full members of your organization.

Let us know if you have any questions via the Tips and Tricks category! Weā€™ll be happy to help!

1 Like