Price increase?

looks like the price was increased over the past 2 days?

@Rich_Lamendola That is correct. We’re simplifying our pricing model so it’s easier for users to understand how much they’ll pay for their company’s account. Anyone that upgraded before the pricing change will have their price honored as long as they make no changes to their plan. So, pricing will remain the same on your current plan, but will change if you add or remove users from your Asana Premium plan.

For a bit of context, we haven’t updated our Premium pricing in over two years. Since then we’ve released lots of new features that make the Premium product more powerful and that we believe add value to the Premium version at this new price point.

Please let us know if you have any follow questions.

Hi, thanks for answering my question here. If you don’t mind me asking, what was confusing about the 4 bucks in change per month? Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

As a solo user, I was considering paying for the 5 seats just to get the advantages. That just got really expensive over 2 days for a single user - not even a heads up. :slight_smile:

Perhaps I will continue with the free version in the meantime.

Thanks,

Thanks for that feedback, Rich. I’m not sure of all the details, but I do know that our team did lots of research and testing to determine the price change. Perhaps the advantages of Premium will suit you in the future. In the meantime we’re happy to help you get creative with the free version.

The no warning was not nice. We upgraded to premium last week to get a better test experience but we need 10 user level when we onboard our team in about a week and not the 5 I did for testing phase. If you had given even a hint that the pricing would be changed on xx/xx/xxxx then I would have upgraded before to lock in any pricing benefit for us, I’m sure other customers would have as well. Minor issue overall, but with all the other good things you are doing for features and on the forum with feedback the no heads up on the pricing change seems contrary.

Yep, I hear you. Anything i’ve ever been testing and in contact with sales on they’ve all extended the courtesy/heads up. Just happened yesterday, in fact. We are looking at a service for chat on our website and for a few clients sites. He said the end of the month, the price will increase (not a pressure sell, either).

I, too, am in a testing phase. I am a single user willing to pay for the 1-5 older price. I needed a little more research which I found as help desk responded and now I am certain that I will have access to boards. That’s when I actually went today to upgrade. That’s when i noticed the increase.

It is what it is… Not the end of the world.

What was the pricing increase before today for the 5 user level then vs today?

it was going to be like 30 something a month. Whatever. It’s fine. It so hard to find one PM service that has everything I like. Probably better hanging with the free version for now and keep my eyes on new products that hit the market.

In one of my pre-sales emails I asked why Asana was using this flat rate tiered system vs a per user, which I’m sure most of their customers would actually prefer. Ideally Asana would be priced per active user, like similar services, but having the flat price tiers helps Asana have a more steady and predictable recurring cash flow.

Asana’s Reply:

We’ve designed this to be in favor of the customer so we can ensure predictability with your billing – this is in contrast to a model where, at the end of the month with rapid growth, you could face a very large, unanticipated bill for additional users." either way that argument is effectively moot now that you just increased the price without notice or ability for customers to review it and their needs.

• Asana Customer Support

Raising prices without notice to customers seems completely contrary to the reasoning that tiers allow customers to avoid billing surprises.

Thank you so much for your feedback. We’re absolutely hearing you on this. I’ve shared my feedback with our team and we’ll definitely continue to improve our process as we learn from you all in the Community.

Really grateful for both of you being so active here. You have a lot of insights that are already helping us. :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s a massive price increase for small teams. 140% hike. I’m not so disappointed with the price itself per user (because I love Asana and have always thought it was a bargain for teams 5-40 people), but having to buy in sets of 5—or $60/month for the cheapest monthly rate—makes Asana a pretty tough sell for solopreneurs. I know that’s maybe not the target market anymore but ouchy :head_bandage:

Price for one person to manage their projects:

• Taskworld: $96/yr
  • Trello: $12/mo
  • Flow: $19/mo
  • Zoho Projects: $25/mo (limited projects, unlimited users)
  • Microsoft Project: $30/mo
  • Workfront: $30/mo
  • Mavenlink: $39/mo
  • Asana: $60/mo

I definitely still believe Asana is THE BEST solution out there. My feedback is I wish Asana charged per user for under 10 people before going to sets of 5, but I know there was a lot of thought that went into the decision (by people who are probably smarter and more informed than me). It’s also been surprising to me that Asana doesn’t offer non-profit discounts because I know they care so much about social issues and improving quality of life.

Asana pricing rule change is a major concern

I have never understood how Asana would have a profit model having a free 15 user model, even though it does not have the premium feature. I am glad I signed up for the 5 member model… You add on top of that, the ability to add guests and it can encompass a fairly large group that Asana is not making any money off of. Having said that, I have demo’ed a number of packages and I had narrowed it down to Asana and Wrike. I chose Asana and will stay with Asana but I think It is a highly competitive space. think keeping the 5-10 member package at a low price is a key marketing decision to get people using Asana. The free edition is a good start, but you will never know the true power of Asana until you go to premium and this price increase at the low end of users may shut the door on some trying to start with a department to convince the whole corporation. Asana still remains the easiest of all that I ever worked with. They continue to add features that are useful. I would say that at the point they have a more robust file manager combined with better hard copy reports that they will have all the features I previously have used while maintaining there “easy to learn” simplicity. I think their generosity with the free edition may take away some revenue that could be captured with maintaining a very low 5-10 user premium edition. A 5-10 user premium edition combined with the ability to have guests that don’t count as a member is a very enticing package and ramp to organization wide adoption.

Right on, @James_Carl! I played around with Wrike also. I do like Asana. I used it a number of years ago and really couldn’t get with it for some reason.

I agree, the space for PM software is hot. Like any industry, competition has a funny way of leveling the playing field. From my seat alone, I am having several conversations with businesses that are switching platforms. Just yesterday I received a notification from a client that they moved from Teamwork to Workflow.

I will continue to use Asana’s free version for now and will keep my eye out for similar products with pricing that isn’t looking to cash in on the small guy. As for others who are testing, they may stumble on this community and it may help guide their decisions as well.

Many smart companies use communities to keep their fingers on the pulse of what their members have to say. I know @Alexis monitors this and does a fine job; then again, she’s not a sole decision maker.

We shall see. It seems other people are a put-off by this, so who knows.

-R

We had already decided to go with Asana before we learned of the price change, yes it is minor but it also provides an insight to management think. They thought little to nothing about customers by giving zero notice. Then I started to look for ways to backup / export our data and even on the Premium plan it is pretty much useless (only avail per project). I was put off by these things and so I started looking again, and found Flow (getflow). So far it looks like everything we wanted in Asana. There are a few key differences and we’ll have to evaluate those further but they have decent pricing, exporting, AND it is wicked fast on every level.

Really? I will look into Flow this afternoon. Certainly not too far into the woods here at Asana. As I’ve stated in the past, not afraid to pay, but need to see the value and feel like the compnay I am giving my hard-earned money to. Thanks for sharing this here with us. Maybe other people on the fence can find an alternative company that suits their needs all around. Thanks, @briankb

I have at least demo’d every one that Todd has listed and more and even tried implementation like Zoho and Teamwork with poor results. A very important consideration is how many of your team are going to buy in to the product so that someday corporate-wide collaboration exists. And my experience is that Asana has some of the best buy-in potential due to their simplicity. I think that everyone has the right to express their concern on low end pricing and I am sure that the Asana team will always take the comments into consideration but many in this community genuinely like Asana after trying many solutions. I have expressed my opinion in the earlier post on the cost of onboarding from small to an expanded utilization.

@James_Carl totally agree and as excited as I got looking at GetFlow that is quickly waning. Price is definitely not the only factor, that said it is one of the easier things to adjust/fix and would get 10x return when it goes in customers favor, unlike this weeks decision.

regarding Flow vs Asana
Pro’s

• fluid UI and it’s fast
  • typeaheads are instant
  • copy/paste images
  • built in chat (free)
  • switch between List and Kanban Board on any Project
  • extensive text formatting and markdown option
  • entering tasks is first class citizen
  • cleaner UI (teams at top, adjustable favorites pane)
  • public feature list via UserVoice
  • Windows App

Con’s

• No Custom Fields (but they do have tags)
  • Search is ok but not as well done at Asana
  • Can’t favorite a search
  • Can’t assign someone not on a team/project to a specific task. Only invites at Project level, Asana has per task invites
  • no API (yea really…)
  • no integration with Github
  • no way to import… (so far that I can find)

I’d much rather stay with Asana for many reasons. Hopefully, they see what’s happening here - how their decision surprised many and how they are boxing out the smaller shops. If that’s their intention, then another platform will have to do the trick - not trying to spend unwisely to be in a club that didn’t want me to enter anyway.

It is what it is…

Pricing for 1 user

Me too, am pretty disappointed about learning this through this forum. Doesn’t reflect well on Asana’s communications priorities. We’re a micro team (2 people) and have been considering Premium for the last few weeks. It’s not that we really needed the features, but we’d have been happy to pay for a good product. But now, this increase in mind, we’re likely sticking to the free version, or moving back to Flow.

In agreement here. Disappointed by the pricing model on the small team level. I understand pricing increases, and Asana chose not to give a heads-up, but that’s their prerogative (whether potential customers like it or not).

The pricing model. As for the pricing model, we have a team of 6, so our price ($750/year) is 2x what it would be with only 5 team members ($375/year). In effect, we would be paying for 4 extra team members that we do not have. Very unfortunate. If the pricing were on a sliding scale (especially for smaller teams), we would not hesitate upgrading.

What we decided to do. In the end, we decided today to stick with the free version for a while to see if we can make do. And, that’s unfortunate for Asana. A lose-lose, if you ask me.