Progress charts is just a straight line

I have the same concern as Annette. The way my progress charts look it seems like the Task Completed is working but the Tasks Remaining line has no relationship to the planned due date and just goes up from the origin to a straight line.

Hi there! Weā€™re looking into the issue and weā€™ll follow up with more answers shortly.

Hi @Annette_Truong! Marie here, from the Support Team in Asana. Apologies for the trouble here, I completely understand this can be a little bit confusing. From what I can see on the screenshot you shared, your graph seems to be working as intended. The green area shows that you have completed 6 tasks between the day you created your project and October 19th, while the light blue area is showing tasks that havenā€™t been completed yet. You mentioned that you have added several tasks recently, this is reflected in the fact that ā€œlight blueā€ area growing. Also, as you pointed out, the blue line looks flat between October 19th and the projectā€™s due date. This is due to the fact that Dashboards only report on tasks that were already completed, and donā€™t take into account tasks set to be completed in the future. So if one of your tasks has a due date set for October 24th for example, it wonā€™t be reflected in the ā€œremaining tasksā€ line until October 24th. I hope this helps to clear things up a little bit, but as always if you have any questions, feedbacks, or if you expected this feature to behave differently, please let us know! Our team heavily relies on feedbacks, and understanding our customerā€™s needs is extremely important to us!

1 Like

I schedule two tasks. one today and one next weekā€¦ todays task is marked as donw. and itā€™s showing the progress chart path is not on track. showing Iā€™m behind today. when iā€™m not. and itā€™s not showing the second task due next week as it is. its basically showing 1 of 2 tasks complete. the time element is not accurately reflected in the chart.

Hi @Aaron_Clark1! Marie here from Asana. Could you verify if all your sections are selected when you click on the little gear icon next to ā€œProgressā€? Because a picture is worth a thousand words, Iā€™ve attached some screenshots of my own Asana account. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same problem. The graph basically looks like two triangles as many here.
starting at zero on the start date of the project and going straight to the current status between completed and incomplete tasks today. I have add and completed tasks in different dates. and it takes no notice of due dates of tasks either.
So it is not working in no direction that could be expected.
Any ideas?

@Marie
I am confused by your answer to @Annette_Truong. If her image is how it is expected, how do you get the jagged lines of the graph on your reply to Aaron_Clark1?
I actually donā€™t know how this is supposed to work (because it is not working) but I can only imagine two scenarios:

1. The graph tracks the creation date of the task and their completion date.
So if I create 5 tasks on day one and completed none, I expect to see a light blue triangle from 0 to 5 and no darker blue triangle. When I complete two tasks and add four, I would expect the lighter line going from 5 to 9 and start seeing the darker blue line from 0 to 2 on day 2. if on day 3, 4 and 5 I do nothing I would expect the graph to continue flat on 9 and 2. On day 6, I complete another 3 and remove one from the project I would expect light blue to go to 8 and darker blue to go to 5ā€¦ and so onā€¦

2. the graph track the due date and the completion date
It seems this is the wish of some, but I would not know exactly how this would work. It could be useful to track the actual status at each day. So if in the beginning of the project I already know some tasks that need to be completed at the end they do not show before they are actually active. but for this to work would perhaps require a start date to the task , which I think is not available at the moment.

Let me know if I am totally misunderstanding the problem.
N

Sorry to post again ( I could not find how to edit my previous post Progress charts is just a straight line - #27 by Nuno_Almeida)

I think I understand a part of what is happening - asana and us have been talking past one another on this.
As far as I can tell the graph follows weekly data dots. As most of us are testing Asana, our projects are not long enough to have more than one data dot, hence the triangular simplicity of our progress graphs.
However, @Marie statement that:

does not work on my side. Even tasks that are due in two months are included in the data point of the remaining tasks of today.

Having the possibility to see a more granular graph (daily) would be really helpful for faster projects and as a motivation at the beginning of projects. Or maybe it could be daily for the latest couple of weeks and weekly for the older tasks.

And to have the tasks data point appearing on the due date would obviously be a great thing as well. That does not seem the case in all the graphs that were posted so far. but if it is possible please give me some guidance on how to achieve that. Thanks.
N

Itā€™s uncomfortable to revive this 1.5 year old conversation, but Iā€™m still having this issue.

You find screenshots attached.
By now the gear icon has disappeared as well, so the reason canā€™t be any filters either.

PS apparently Iā€™m only allowed to put one image on this post, so I explain: The graph is supposed to show five days, but shows only a straight line.

HI @Stefan2 and sorry to hear youā€™re running into trouble here. I would recommend reaching out directly to our support team to troubleshoot this issue further. You will be able to provide multiple screenshots and they will be able to take a look at the project in question in our system.

To reach out to our support team, simply follow this path:
Asana Support - Help Center ā€¢ Asana > ā€œIā€™m having trouble withā€ > Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on ā€œLetā€™s chatā€

Again so sorry for the troube, I hope this gets resolved asap!

Marie, what should we do now that the gear icon no longer appears in Progress view? I have a bunch of projects that have this straight-line problem and I donā€™t know why, and I also have no options to tinker with. Please advise, thank you.

1 Like