Projects from templates - project members

Let’s assume that within a team of 20 people, only two (A, B) are responsible for editting / maintaing a template. Nevertheless the template is visible to the entire team.

Now, if someone other than the two people, e.g. person C creates a project from the template, then apart from C, A and B are also always project members of that newly created project. Is that correct? if yes, why is that so? A and B should only be responsible for maintaining the template but shouldn’t always be necessarily be included in its execution…

Thanks for helping me out here.

Best regards,
Marius

I think because theoretically, if they’re members of the template project, then part of the template is that they are members - so the settings carry over.

For instance, my event template - I maintain it, but the events manager is on there as a member of the project because she’s always going to need access to it, etc. - that’s a project setting that should remain regardless of the initial use of the template.

I would prefer that to having to add her each time. Now that’s a specific example, but the theory is that project members/owners/commenters are and should be part of the template(s).

2 Likes

Hi @Marius_Wedemeyer
I am surfacing this post again. I have a similar situation.

I created a Project, got the sign-off from the process leads and made the project a template.

Now a new person comes to use thew template and creates a new project. Automatically, I get added to the project, when there is no need for me to be added.

What I would like is for asana to prompt the person using the template: do you want to add project members too? similar to the feature of copying a project.

I, of course, maybe using the template feature incorrectly.

Anyone else?

@Caisha what do you think of this user case?

1 Like

@Rashad_Issa, if the template has been added to your Organisation’s template library, you could consider leaving the template itself? That won’t prevent you from using it in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that would work… it just means I now need to put aside sometime to do a proper housekeeping for all the project templates I created and start removing myself accordingly.